Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evanmars

Read I/O word from SLC5/05 on PanelView Plus 7 Performance

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to make pages on my HMI to show status of the I/O.  

Trying to read the entire I/O word, then mask and shift to get the individual bits.

Shortcut in Communication Setup is PLC

i.e.  In tag manager INPUT_WORD_1, type analog, max 65535, data type unsigned integer, device, ::[PLC]I:1.0

Then for I:1/0 in the connections, expression = {INPUT_WORD_1} & 1

I:1/1 = ({INPUT_WORD_1} & 2) >> 1

I:1/2 = ({INPUT_WORD_1} & 1)  >> 2

etc.

But when I run it, I get "Unable to connect to INPUT_WORD_1" (same for rest of the I/O).

I have others like ::[PLC]N142:13 that work fine.

20 hours ago, evanmars said:

i.e.  In tag manager INPUT_WORD_1, type analog, max 65535, data type unsigned integer, device, ::[PLC]I:1.0

But when I run it, I get "Unable to connect to INPUT_WORD_1" (same for rest of the I/O).

I have others like ::[PLC]N142:13 that work fine.

I would suspect something is wrong in your tag manager definition of the I/O Points.  I'd try type integer rather than type analog and also use address {plc]I:1 without the .o on the end.

The type "analog" is not the data type, there is only analog, digital, and string available.  I have the data type set as "unsigned integer" (I also tried "default")

I tried it without the .0 first, but when that didn't work, I looked at the data tables for inputs and outputs in RSLogix, and they have the .0, so I tried that.

I've attached a couple of images.  One with my attempt at creating a tag called "INPUT_WORD_1" that references all 16 bits of I:1.0 that doesn't want to work, and a tag called "INTERLOCKS_1_THRU_12" that references all 16 bits of N142:30 that does work.

The original HMI communicated over RIO, but it was swapped out for a PV+ 7 performance a few years ago.  Everything is over Ethernet now.

Just trying to get some I/O status screens.  I create a tag for each I/O point separately, but since there are 448 points, I'd rather not.

INPUT_WORD_1.png

INTERLOCKS.png

I pulled up an OLD project from a PLC5. The Tag/Expression I used was: {::[PLC540B]N19:3}/10, with the curly braces. That was directly in the object properties connections tab, not in the tag database. I would try putting the address directly in the object on the display to see if it works.

644839cbe36d5_PVtoPLC5.JPG.a8d011f0385dc

20 hours ago, Joe E. said:

I pulled up an OLD project from a PLC5. The Tag/Expression I used was: {::[PLC540B]N19:3}/10, with the curly braces. That was directly in the object properties connections tab, not in the tag database. I would try putting the address directly in the object on the display to see if it works.

644839cbe36d5_PVtoPLC5.JPG.a8d011f0385dc

Yeah, remembering back almost 20 years ago (last time I dealt with SLC), that's what I always did.  Totally forgot about the direct referencing instead of using HMI tags.

But it turns out the problem was using "unsigned integer" instead of "integer"

On 4/26/2023 at 0:55 PM, evanmars said:

Had to set the data type to integer instead of unsigned integer.

Apparently, I/O addresses are treated differently than memory addresses when doing bit shift operations.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/25521

Thanks for posting the solution you found to work.  So often a suggestion solves the issue, but we never get feedback.

1 person likes this