Soundman5535

Need a simple 1 second pulsed output with button push

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys 

Don't laugh, I'm new to plc's and I'm trying to get a 1 second pulse with a given input (or multi inputs). I just can't make sense of the output sections, I've tried several different timers and things but have had no luck. I'm sure there is a simple solution. Please help this old man feel smarter

I won't laugh, I'm an old man too. I'm just trying to figure out what you are trying to do. With the i second pulse, you can get that with the special register M8000's. Won't need any timers. If you could expand on waht you want, or come up with a small ladder example of what you are trying to achieve, I'm sure I could help you.

You'll have to explain more...

Do you want a 1 second on, one second off output, when an input is on?

Or.. an output on for just one second when an input is on.

A little background 

After 30+ years as a 12volt tech (think automotive accessories), my wife and I own and operate an escape room business. I build props for our rooms using off the shelf timers and sensors. Recently I discovered plc's and would like to use one controller for multiple props. Most of my builds are some sort of trigger or multiple triggers when activated I will need a relay to close for 1 second or so and then open. This action will need to occur every time the trigger or triggers close. 

Thanks everyone 

There are three possible patterns to a timed output pulse:

• Extend the input pulse to at least the configured time,
  • Extend or chop the input pulse to exactly the configured time, or
  • Chop the input pulse to no more than the configured time.

It sounds like you want either #1 or #2.  Please clarify.

What I am looking for is

On a constant on input, I need a 1 second relay pulse on the output. So everytime X1 sees a constent trigger, Y1 will give a 1 second pulse.  The plc I'm using has on board relays.

I am so new to this that it's difficult for me to explain what I'm looking for. Think of me as a toddler in this field.

11 hours ago, Soundman5535 said:

difficult for me to explain

Please explain what drives the input and for what you are using the output.  That usually adds clarity.  But your description now suggests #3.

11 hours ago, Soundman5535 said:

Think of me as a toddler in this field.

Ah, no.  Toddlers shouldn't be playing with electricity or machinery.

For example 

I frequently will have a puzzle with 5 or so magnetic reed switches that are in series with 1 leg at 0 volts and the other will become 0 volts with the 5 reed switches closed (near a magnet) at this point I need a 1 second pulsed relay output to release an electromagnetic latch (like a cash register). Most of the props I build use this type of configuration sometimes with a 12v trigger using rfid readers or actual switches and buttons. The input side of the ladder makes sense to me, it's the outputs that I find troubling. It's the 1 second relay pulse that I'm confused with. I really appreciate everyones time. 

Once I learn how to adjust my output times, I will be able to control some of my motion props as well. I have a much bigger project in mind that actually transports 6 people on a sled for our teleporter trials room. Lockclocandperilescape.com . I have to control everything manually now with relays and buttons. It works fine but is complicated and every ride is different.

Edited by Soundman5535
Added info

which software are you using ? The TON TOFF instructions should be fine for this  

can you please just get to the point and tell us something about function you need:

1. what is the exact PLC model 

2. what is the PLC software type and version

3. what is output really supposed to do

if you want to make single 1sec pulse when button is pressed, and really make it 1sec pulse regardless how long the button was held 

down, something like this  should do

64467bed03623_PB1secpulse.png.00cf74b473

explanation

X5 is input for push button (trigger). instruction is not a standard NO contact but senses rising edge (hence the arrow up). this ensures that regardless how long button is press down, only single pulse will be generated.

rest is a simple seal-in logic:

output Y4 is held on until timer T4 times out. K10 is duration  (10x base time). on most timer base is usually 0.1 seconds. so 10x 0.1sec = 1 sec.

I'm not a Mitsubishi guy, but this is what your three choices would look like in an Allen Bradley Logix processor.  Based on your description, you probably want "Output2".

PulseExtendChop.png

X5 is input for push button (trigger). instruction is not a standard NO contact but senses rising edge (hence the arrow up). this ensures that regardless how long button is press down, only single pulse will be generated.

rest is a simple seal-in logic:

output Y4 is held on until timer T4 times out. K10 is duration  (10x base time). on most timer base is usually 0.1 seconds. so 10x 0.1sec = 1 sec.

I am excited to try this sometime today.

It's tough to explain what I need when I don't speak the language 

Thanks panic mode

That worked great! Sorry for the confusion and I appreciate everyone's input. I have a lot more to learn for sure but this helped me