skyfox

NX1P2 - Remote access over Internet connection?

4 posts in this topic

Current Set-up:

OMRON NX1P2

MAPLE SYSTEM HMI

WINDOWS PC

All on a dedicated LAN with access to internet via a cellular modem with a static WAN IP. This network is 100% isolated from any other networks in the office. I can remote desktop into the PC. I do not have Sysmac studio installed on this PC. I can see and control the MAPLE system HMI from this remote desktop connection. Question is, how do I connect directly to the NXIP2 over this internet connection? (Without using remote desktop.) I have port 44818 forwarding set to local LAN IP of NX1P2 in the Modem/Router.

In the Rockwell world, I am able to do this by simply setting up a driver in RSLINX with the rempte WAN IP address and the required port forwarding to the local LAN IP of the PLC at the remote location. is there a way to do this with NX1P2?

Cheers.

You'll need to forward ports 80, 9610, and 2224. At least that's what was required on pre-1.50 firmware PLCs. This is a bad idea in general though, don't expose your PLCs to the internet without a form of protection like an RT100 or eWon or VPN etc. Since you can't specify a port in Sysmac you can't even take advantage of security by obscurity and port forward mismatched port numbers. If you are firmware 1.50 and up and you have all of the extra security implemented it would be better but its always best practice to keep your PLC off the internet.

I am not too worried about anyone hacking into this network in this particular scenario. I have isolated this network from the corporate WAN/LAN networks. There is not much damage, if any, a hacker can do to this set up. Are 9610 & 2224 OMRON ports?  This is an experimental set-up. Just wanting direct access to the PLC over the internet. Once that is established, we will implement strict hardware mac-address based security during the next development phase. For now, three collaborators scattered around the globe, trying to connect to this PLC over the internet.

Cheers.

See this thread:

I'm not sure exactly which port is used for what, but the three I mentioned are the usual ports for this sort of setup.