chelton

SNTP omron plc

6 posts in this topic

Is it possible to do what is shown in the ETN21 manual for clock updates on the omron cs/cj plc's ? I know you can update the time via SNTP but as shown in the manual it appears as if you can then broadcast this across the network?

I can't find any other information on it. Only way i can think is to send FINS commands to each other PLC or fetch the time from other PLC's.

Thanks in advance.

6437ed093e1d8_RTCBroadcast.thumb.png.b0a

Network Time Protocol has broadcast modes (send and receive) and peer synchronization modes, in addition to polling.  Simple Network Time Protocol is NTP abbreviated to just polling.  I'm not familiar with those specific processors, but it wouldn't surprise me if they implemented the broadcast modes of NTP.

The EtherNet/IP Unit or built-in EtherNet/IP port can obtain the clock information from the SNTP server (see note 1) at a particular time or when a designated bit turns ON and then refresh the internal clock information of the CPU Unit to which it is mounted (referred to as the local CPU Unit).

The most simple method is to use the Automatic Clock Adjustment Function on each ETN21 card.

You can broadcast using FINS command GET CLOCK or SET CLOCK (Check FINS Command Reference Manual).

2 hours ago, JYG said:

The most simple method is to use the Automatic Clock Adjustment Function on each ETN21 card.

You can broadcast using FINS command GET CLOCK or SET CLOCK (Check FINS Command Reference Manual).

I thought using the automatic clock adjustment would be easiest too, however you can not change the UTC offset via programming to adjust for DST. 

Looking into the SET CLOCK FINS broadcast. Thanks.

17 hours ago, chelton said:

however you can not change the UTC offset via programming to adjust for DST

When working to produce the Omron NJ/NX support in my Ignition EtherNet/IP driver, I was shocked to learn that these models don't use UTC internally.  Running an Omron PLC's clock on anything other than UTC is therefore a problem, IMNSHO.

I always use UTC in any device and convert to another timezone if display is necessary.

1 person likes this