Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeexplorer

Update on my Model Train Project

4 posts in this topic

It has been awhile, but back a few years ago I designed a PLC controlled model train project using a Micrologix 1400 PLC as a means to learn programming. I did get stuck a few times and I got some good advice from members here and I was able to improve my skills. I did this crazy project because I wanted to be able to do projects at work to do improvements. I have had a few job changes during this time but now settled in a job where I have been able to utilize these skills to update older equipment. None of these are big projects (like designing a whole new machine) but smaller scale which I am happy with.

I spent a lot of time and money on this project and I didn't want to just dismantle it and say "ok that was fun" so I made a new permanent home for the project. I had an existing around the ceiling layout in my one room, so I transferred this project to that layout.  I mounted the PLC controls on the wall, The second controls (which operate the layout manually) was mounted on a folding table. I also used a pedestal which I obtained from a previous job since they were scrapping all the equipment prior to closing. I also integrated the PLC and HMI panels into my home network so Now I can access and program the PLC and HMI panels from any computer in my house. I had a spare 4 inch panel that I purchased years ago which I used to learn how to work with HMI's and it turned out it has an ethernet port so used it for my project as a second panel for testing. When I moved the project I wasn't sure what to do with it. I ended up making it battery powered and I found a wifi bridge so now this panel works on wireless. 

For those who helped me in the past when I got stuck with the programming, thank you.

Mike

0316231821 (Medium).jpg

0316231822 (Medium).jpg

0319231641 (Medium).jpg

0322231924a (Medium).jpg

0322231924c (Medium).jpg

0322231946a (Medium).jpg

0325231612 (Medium).jpg

0326231832 (Medium).jpg

1 person likes this

Pretty cool!

2 hours ago, mikeexplorer said:

utilize these skills to update older equipment

I find such work really satisfying, too.

21 hours ago, pturmel said:

Pretty cool!

I find such work really satisfying, too.

Me too, I like to "make a difference" at work Shortly after I started my job, this machine that drops cans of paint into a box failed. It had old pneumatic controls which we couldn't get parts for. It was also going to be replaced in a few months so I loaned them a PLC and HMI (my old Micrologix 1000 which I used as a trainer) This is why the inside isn't done very neat.

The second project was to replace an old mechanical counter which was used to measure the level of liquid in several tanks. It is a unique type counter and when I contacted the company for a replacement, they wanted $5,000 ! Wow! I replaced it with a Click PLC and a small HMI for around $700. In addition, the counter would only give you a number and you had to look in a chart to determine the number of gallons in the tank. The PLC made it easy to do the calculations and display the number for the operator.

I am doing other projects for work now and have several planned for the future. It is nice when I can say I like my job.

Mike

0812220608 (Medium).jpg

0815220900 (Medium).jpg

0815221134 (Medium).jpg

1102221051 (Medium).jpg

1102221052 (Medium).jpg

1102221052a (Medium).jpg

1 person likes this

Outstanding job!