Lipton

Sick AFM60A as Encoder Axis in Sysmac studio (CIA 406)

5 posts in this topic

Hello. 

I wonder if anyone with success as been able to map Sick AFM60A encoder PDO's to a Encoder Axis in sysmac studio and use it some application ? 

I have tried in offline mode and it look like it will work I mapped 6004H to Position Actual value only.

I am curious if a it possible to map Controlword & Statusword and execute MC_Home.

/Best Regards 

EncoderAxis.png

Edited by Lipton

After some research online I guess that speed would be PDO 6030

I tried to use the encoder as a Axis but I found it easier to use the raw values and then do math for my use to give the units and speed.  The speed value I used is PDO 2017.

Sick Encoder.JPG

Thanks @Webbs.

Did you get encoder to work as a Encoder Axis ? 
I mapped PDO 6030 for test and started the simulator and got this error . 
Removed the PDO and error goes away. With PDO 2017 it simulator starts without any errors :).

Previous project we did like you are doing, we want to learn more about CIA 406 and the pros/cons of encoder axis

/Best Regards.

6030 error.png

Glad I was able to solve one of your issues.

I never deployed the encoders (we are running 4 on the machine) as an Axis setup. 

The encoders run continuously in one direction and are used to sync position and speed between 4 conveyors.  While the machine is running the encoder will often complete the 1024 turns and the raw position value would go back to zero (each encoder will do that at different times).  I had issues trying to deal with this as a Axis so just used math to add in the encoder raw position + (total encoder count * the number of turns) and use that for my position.

CIA 406  isn't something I had heard of but a quick skim sounds nice that all suppliers will deliver the same information in the same location. This will come down to all the ESI files being the same and then the software interpreting them the same.  Omron appears to do this slightly differently to Rockwell and can end up with different operations from the same ESI file.