siprian123

Unable to go online

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was ale to connect the Power Supply (IC693PWR321) and CPU (IC693CPU311) however, I'm unable to go online.

I have attached files so you can see what is happening:

Match serial communication setup for PC and PLC
PC,  used Device Manager to set up    COM4, 19200, 8, odd, 1
PLC, used CPU under hardware set 19200, 8, odd, 1, (see attachment PLC communication setup)
connected and disconnected serial/USB cable and port appears and disappears in Ports (Com & LPT) in device manager

Setup Hardware in PLC
PLC, defined hardware and pulled report (see attachment Hardware BOM report)  Why ( 2 ) IC693CPU311 ?    Redundant processor not an option in CPU 311.
PLC, disable password under CPU (see attachment PLC communication setup)

Setup Target 1
Make target active, Clean Build, Validate (see attachment Validation error message)
Go ONLINE,  received time out error 8503 (see attachment Time Out Error)

Pulled HELP for Validation error
Highlighted line in Feedback window and looked in Companion window for help response. (see attachment for Help 1 & Help 2 for Validation error)

Could be that the drivers are not available for this old hardware????!!!

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Are you using the proper GE cable?  The ports on these processors are not RS-232.  (I'm traveling and do not have that cable with me, but it has electronics in one end.)

It is possible that the latest version of the PAC Machine Edition software from Emerson is incapable of communications with the old CPU311. That particular model has been out of production for several years. But I would not put that as the most likely possibility.

As pturmel notes, the details of your cable connection are important. The port on the power supply is RS485, while the majority of USB/serial converters are USB/RS232. Please tell us what you are using.

Also, in the navigator panel, right click on the "Target1" and open up the properties window. Scroll down to the "Physical Port" item and make sure the selected COM port number matches the COM port assigned to your USB/serial converter.

Why ( 2 ) IC693CPU311 ?

That's just a quirk of the software. The first instance of the part number is in the field for the backplane. In your case, you have a model that includes the CPU in the backplane instead of as a separate module.

Sorry for the delayed response, I had my family arrive for a few days' visit.

Regarding the cable, I did not purchase a generic cable. Got the cable made for the 90_30 PLC. I wanted to avoid compatibility issues by purchasing a cable made specifically for this PLC.

I knew the PC and PLC serial communication parameters must match.  So, I checked, rechecked, and checked again the following serial communication parameters:

PC
Device Manager / Ports (COM & LPT) / USB-Serial CH340
      Com Port: COM 4

Device Manager / Ports (COM & LPT) / USB-Serial CH340 (COM 4) / Port Settings 
      Bits per second:  19200
      Parity: odd
      Stop bits 1
      Data bits:  8 

and matches,

PLC
PAC Machine Edition / Navigator / Target 1 / Properties / Inspector
      Physical post: COM4

PAC Machine Edition / Navigator / Hardware Configuration / Main Rack / CPU (IC693CPU311) expanded (double click):
      Data rate:  19200
      Parity: odd
      Stop Bits: 1
      Checksum Words:  8 

So, how do get the programming software to communicate with this PLC?  My thoughts are:
      Hardware compatibility issue - Direction, switch to older PC hardware and transfer programming software to it.    
      Software/driver issue - Direction, switch to older version of programming software.  If so, what version is compatible with this old PLC hardware?

Please give comments for the best direction in your opinion or propose another direction of action.

Please see attached the cable

IC690USB901

Thank you!

cable.jpeg

One other possibility: Are you running PAC Machine Edition in a virtual machine? Sometimes the COM port number assigned in the VM does not match the COM port number assigned by the host machine.

If there are any LEDs on you USB/serial adapter, watch them while you are trying to establish communications. Any occasional blink of one of them indicates an attempt to communicate with no response. No LED activity indicates a mismatch between the port Machine Edition is using and the port used by the converter.