Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim Knowlden

Automatically Adjust for BST

29 posts in this topic

Hi, its coming around to the time that I manually adjust forward the time of one of my PLCs.

I have for the last 5 years adjusted the time forward for BST in March, and backwards in October. 

I inherited this PLC at work and it produces a print out with date and time on for delivery receipts. I have never looked into if this can be automated without the need to adjust it twice a year, plugging it into a computer running gx developer, as that was what the previous maintenance engineer did?

Is there an easy way to add something to the ladder?

3 hours ago, NewVeganic said:

This might work.I haven't tried it.

Amazing, ill try it before the clock change.

If d8000 is run I guess I'd need to switch the plc to stop and back to run on the date though or will it check this daily?

M8000? M8000 is always on when running so you should be ok.

I remembered this was in the download section here, it's not my work and I haven't tried it.

Edited by NewVeganic

16 hours ago, NewVeganic said:

M8000? M8000 is always on when running so you should be ok.

I remembered this was in the download section here, it's not my work and I haven't tried it.

Sorry, yes m8000. Will this constantly be triggering check of date then to allow adjustment of time. Or is this a one off check when plc is switched onto run? I'm trying to get my head around how the logic works 

Unless you have a HMI connected - I wouldn't bother.

The Mitsubishi internal clock is next to useless. It can gain nearly an hour over 1 year

Probably why the past engineer did it manually.

1 person likes this

On 3/19/2023 at 6:57 AM, Tim Knowlden said:

Sorry, yes m8000. Will this constantly be triggering check of date then to allow adjustment of time. Or is this a one off check when plc is switched onto run? I'm trying to get my head around how the logic works 

Yes.  M8000 is always on when PLC is in RUN mode.  If that is the trigger for the read/adjust it will do so every time the program scans. 

M8000 is not present on the A1ShCPU PLC.

I also am not seemingly able to get a usb to rs232 connector to communicate via the rs232 to db25 connector

With ACPU you should use M9036. You need SC-09 cable for programming, and it has RS232-RS422 interface in it, as programming port on CPU is RS422.

Hi Tim, don't suppose you want to buy some old ACPUs/cards?

On 01/04/2023 at 10:17 AM, NewVeganic said:

Hi Tim, don't suppose you want to buy some old ACPUs/cards?

Hi,

We have some spares at work already, but thank you

On 28/03/2023 at 11:40 AM, Goran Vuckovic said:

With ACPU you should use M9036. You need SC-09 cable for programming, and it has RS232-RS422 interface in it, as programming port on CPU is RS422.

I have purchased this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0859YX2J1/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_dp_1

Now though reading your comments I am unsure if this will work?

I old laptop with rs232 port that I use, but it is terrible, so now have one with only a usb to use.

https://www.waveshare.com/usb-to-rs232-485-ttl.htm

Never tested with ACPU but saved my day many times with Mitsubishi, Omron, Siemens, Rexroth, Lenze devices and some bus conveting modules like AnyBus...

I setback just once with one Nordson glue pattern controller, but there was a note in the controllesr's manual that the RS-232 comms do not work with converters.

Edited by glavanov

if USB-RS232 converter has original FTDI chip it will work, and it is not expensive.

1 person likes this

On 04/04/2023 at 4:02 PM, Goran Vuckovic said:

if USB-RS232 converter has original FTDI chip it will work, and it is not expensive.

A long time since purchasing, but tested this today. FTDI drivers install okay, but cannot communicate with the ACPU PLC

This is using the same rs232 to db25 that works on an old laptop with port. But its plugged into a rs232 to usb adaptor which has drivers installed and is recognised by Windows.

20230607_080942.jpg

And you are sure that COM1 is the port for the USB to RS-232 adapter?

Does it appear immediately with the corresponding COM number in Device manager after you plug the adapter into the PC USB port ?
If not, It's a driver issue.

Edited by glavanov

I had success with Keyspan USA-19HS USB serial adpter, but it almost NEVER picks COM1, better get into Device Manager and see what COM port it chose.

Yes, it has to be part of the routine of connecting to a plc - check which com port is being used by the adapter

Yes, it started as COM8, but ive tried changing in device manager various different COM ports.

This is using the same rs232 to db25 that works on an old laptop with port. But its plugged into a rs232 to usb adaptor which has drivers installed and is recognised by Windows.

20230608_084451.jpg