Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robror_

SCL05/04 Connection

5 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I have an Allen-Bradley SCL05/04 PLC.
It has an RS-232 port, a 3 DH+ connector and a circular port with programming pins.
An NB-Omron HMI is connected to the RS-232 port. And of course I can only have the screen connected.
Is there any possibility to connect through the PLC programming port to be able to follow the program online?

Here is atached photos of the PLC:

https://imgur.com/a/PEPI4Wl

On the SLC 5/04, the 3-pin Phoenix connector and the round mini-DIN are both the DH+ channel. That means you'll need a DH+ adapter for your PC. The AB 1784-U2DHP adapter is very expensive and very fragile. And not repairable. I've seen them last a while or fail quickly. They just stop working. They'll power up, LEDs turn on, but RSLinx doesn't see any DH+ devices behind it. The failure is sudden and complete (it doesn't get flaky and then quit, it just works one day and doesn't the next).

I've used a Prosoft EtherNet/IP to DH+ gateway module very successfully. Biggest downside (besides cost) is that it needs an external power supply. If I need to do it again, I'll probably try this:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1784-u2dhp-alternative-usb-to-data-highway-plus-dh-anc-120e/

@robror_ I'll second the advice of Joe E and add If you've got spare ControlLogix Racks and Parts then a 1756-DHRIO Iand 1756-EN2T can make a gateway to connect ethernet to the SLC 5/04.  DOne it , but now days there are cheaper solutions.

2 people like this

20 hours ago, BobLfoot said:

@robror_I'll second the advice of Joe E and add If you've got spare ControlLogix Racks and Parts then a 1756-DHRIO Iand 1756-EN2T can make a gateway to connect ethernet to the SLC 5/04.  DOne it , but now days there are cheaper solutions.

When I started at my last location, that's what they did! They had spare parts laying around so they put together a chassis, power supply, ENBT, and DHRIO on a cart with a UPS for the desktop PC. They also had a data switch to select between the 9-pin RS232, 25-pin RS232, PLC-2 cable, and SLC 150 cable. It was an impressive setup, with 2 carts set up that way. With the UPS batteries never lasting, and the leased PCs having to go back to IT, we got laptops and the -U2DHP adapters. When the U2DHPs started failing, we got the ProSoft modules. At my current location, we don't have any 5/04s (that I've found so far...) and no DH+ at all, so it hasn't been an issue.

Wow, you always got a solution I see haha

Thanks a lot for your answers, guys!