Mykkah

Burn Therapy Chiller tank

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I'm trying to build a therapy tank for burn victims that requires a few automated processes of which I need help! Essentially this device will function a lot like a temperature controlled "hottub" with an circulation pump but on a much smaller scale (like 10 gallons). I would also like to be able to observe and control the device remotely outside of the users direct control for programming therapy temperatures. The goal with most patients is to start them at a temperature just under body temp (around 94) degrees and the get them down to treatments in mid 60's over time. The machine will used a liquefied burn gel that has a consistency like thin vegetable oil. 

Here's what I need in a controller:

• ON_OFF functionality for a liquid chiller. 
  • Contact relay for reed switch to disconnect power to device when lid is open. (this is a safety feature - when the treatment tank lid is opened I would like for a relay to disconnect the chiller's power through LV to ensure there is no chance of electrical shock. 
  • "Delay On" relay (The chiller is and on_off refrigerant based device that will require a "delay on" relay to allow head pressure to dissipate before restarting) (See below)
  • ON_OFF relay with programmable timer functionality for a liquid circulation pump. (to be set at intervals throughout the day)
  • Temperature controller for K-type thermocouple - this will be used to monitor, maintain, and cool liquid. PID or Arduino? (Will need the ability to establish limits on backend)
  • The ability to display temperature in either F or C

Functionality:
Ideally each unit would have a controller similar to an on_off temp controller or PID so that the home user could manipulate controls within a limit on the device locally. The device would then automatically maintain temperature based on set point and would have timed on_off sequences throughout the day for the liquid pump which were programmed into the device logic. This functionality in addition to the safety cut off features for use are all I need this device to do.

Safety feature - being that this device could be in the middle of a chilling cycle when a patient would want to use it, I would like for the device to have the ability to instantaneously cut power to the HV 110V 16A Pump and Chiller without damaging those devices upon restarting... For instance if someone were to open the lid to feel the water and close the lid again quickly, the on_delay timer set to around 5min would prevent the compressor from restarting until the 5 minutes passed, thus keeping the short cycling from damaging the refrigerant system.  

Remote monitoring and commands
I would like to have the ability to push settings to these devices all across the city/state in peoples homes. The controller would need the ability to connect to wifi and transmit information as well as receive commands. This feature would be for those who would be put on a therapy program where we would control and push temp settings to their device remotely.

Mobiel User Interface
The BIG goal would be to tie all of this together and be able to control a device via iPhone or android.

User downloads the app - The app has the ability to:

• turn on off off the device 
  • adjust temperature (again within limits)
  • turn on a timer 15 minute filter cycle with the press of a button
  • Select/program a filter schedule with up to 8 time slots
  • Circulation filter replacement reminders (messaging function)
  • Therapy reminder. 
  • Opt in for therapy pre programming pushes - me pushing temp settings to their device.

Thats the novel for now!! Looking for someone interested in building this, or anyone willing to guide me through the process. This is just an idea and my 9-5 is a physical therapist, but I would love to bring this vision to life!

Sorry if this is fragmented or ignorant, but I just need help getting started or pointed in the right direction! 

Have you investigated whether this qualifies as a 'medical device' that falls under the purview of the FDA?  I've seen far less ambitious projects at pharmas that were subject to testing, and FDA review and approval. 

Perhaps future models could be - which I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but for now this will be a recreational device with use cases for multiple things. 

I've been considering Arduino for this as they just rolled out their first PLC or PLR, but honestly I'm looking for help in building bulletproof functionality and a simple but well operating GUI that could communicate locally as well as over an IoT cloud.