Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sannin

Question router VPN for Sysmac Studio

7 posts in this topic

Likely.  Looks like a rebranded or copied eWon device.

How do you go about getting your IT department's blessings or your customer's IT group's blessing to put this on to the corporate network and expose it to the internet?

7 hours ago, skyfox said:

IT group's blessing

Here in the U.S., I don't think you would.

On 03/03/2023 at 3:27 PM, skyfox said:

How do you go about getting your IT department's blessings or your customer's IT group's blessing to put this on to the corporate network and expose it to the internet?

If I a customer has an IT department and they want me to have remote access to their PLC (which they always do after I tell them that if I don't, they will be up for a heap of travel and accommodation costs every time there is an issue I need to look at) then I tell them how I would set up the remote access, which invariably the IT department never likes. At this point, I tell them that I am happy to work in with them (ie. install any programs etc that I need for remote access), but they need to work out how I can access the relevant IP addresses remotely, basically putting the responsibility back on them to sort out the VPN. And if the client asks me about the remote access, I just refer them to their own IT department. So far  it has worked for me :-2

The down side is everyone invariably uses a different program for VPN access........so just need to keep it documented so I remember what program is for who.

19 hours ago, BE said:

The down side is everyone invariably uses a different program for VPN access

Not only do they use their own VPN software, but most high-end VPN solutions reroute all network traffic through that company's firewall (in many cases, even LAN traffic to your own file servers).  Unless you are diligent about not opening the files of other clients while a particular client's VPN is running, you are likely violating any non-disclosure agreements you've signed with those other clients, and exposing your own corporate secrets, too.  I am extremely picky about the client VPN technologies I allow in my infra, and never allow anything that impacts my own LAN traffic.  Most clients end up approving the the very locked-down VPN I run through my own cloud server.