Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cwayman

AB Networking suggestions

7 posts in this topic

Good morning,

I am looking to build up some AB networking/PLC trainers.  I already have 3 CompactLogix 5069-L306ER, 3 5069-IB16s, 3 5069-OB16s, and three AB2711P-T10C21D8S.  I am mainly looking for recommendations on what everyone is currently using that would be the best to train new techs on.  I already plan on getting an 8 port managed switch, but does it matter if its a Stratix or an off brand, what more common.  I am also planning on getting a PowerFlex 4M AC drive to control a simple 120V AC motor.  Any other suggestions on equipment or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

If you haven't already bought the 4M, take a look at the PF525. They have a 0.5HP 120VAC single phase model that's a little more expensive but includes the Ethernet/IP communications. To get Ethernet/IP on the 4M,  you'll also have to buy a 22-COMM-E adapter. List price on just the adapter is within $15 of a 0.5HP PF525. The 525 with its embedded Ethernet/IP and safe-torque-off is a really attractive option. It can drop into your CompactLogix project easily with no additional hardware.

What Joe said.  Also include some PointI/O via EtherNet/IP.  Consider also some non-Rockwell EtherNet/IP I/O devices:  PhoenixContact, Wago, IFM Efector, and Balluff all have respectable products.  I'm sure there are others.

1 person likes this

Make sure they know how to use generic modules too. The number of people I come across that can't add/or get ethernet devices up and running unless it has an add-on-profile.

2 people like this

On 1/28/2023 at 8:26 PM, chelton said:

Make sure they know how to use generic modules too. The number of people I come across that can't add/or get ethernet devices up and running unless it has an add-on-profile.

My honest (possibly unpopular opinion): AOPs are terrible, or the execution of the framework is, I'm not sure.

I've begged Rockwell for documentation on how to generate them (or how to be licensed to) and they send an intern to pimp CCW.

Generic modules are superior in that the setup is simpler, they require no outside add-ons, and generally use less controller memory to do much of the same stuff.

2 people like this

when it comes to Ethernet/IP, AOP is used to allow single network interface to be used both for standard and CipSafety data. one can of course choose to not use AOP for this then one needs additional network card. it is same as working on PLCs with older firmware.

This public Rockwell summary of AOPs might help:

What are AOPs?

I'm aware of extra-simple AOPs simply being EDS files that have enough optional info for Studio5000 to construct the module's I/O datatypes, and otherwise conform to Rockwell's I/O messaging rules.  Those have a chapter in this public document:

Logix CIP Developer Guide

My understanding is that the above simple AOP ("level 1") is a hash code added to the EDS that locks the content and signals to Studio 5000 to apply its "level 1" algorithms.

More complex AOPs require an installer to supply the dialog boxes and datatype manipulation code for Studio 5000's use.