Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
junkyardgary

Emerson (Prophecy) vs. Rockwell (A-B) Lets be real...

5 posts in this topic

I've been debating whether to stay at my current employer who uses Emerson PAC software, vs going back to a similar company that uses Rockwell (compact/control logix) mainly because A-B is used by most companies around here. I work as a technical temp, usually 12 month contract jobs. Learning the Emerson PAC (aka Prophecy) seems to be a waste of time, since I am not aware of any companies that use it, other than my current employer. My placement company is pushing back, but I know I am correct. I do not have hard numbers, but I've been around the industry for 20+ yers, and have only seen 1 company use Emerson. 

Does any one agree or disagree, or have some circumstantial evidence of the actual market share of A-B vs Emerson. I am mainly working in the Auto industry, in Michigan. Just looking at this site, there are 3200 postings for GE and Emerson combined, vs 58,000 postings for A-B. 

It's not a zero-sum game. Learning the Emerson software doesn't mean you unlearn Rockwell. In my opinion, a resume showing experience with multiple brands is better than one with only a single brand. Every brand has strengths and weaknesses. Knowing how to get the job done by taking advantage of the strengths great. Getting the job done despite the weaknesses is even more important. You don't win points with the boss by saying, "If you had chosen my preferred brand, I would have been finished by now".

GE's PLC market share was, in large part, based on the fact that all GE divisions specified that GE products be used in any equipment purchased for their plants. Given their large footprint, that's a pretty good base to start from. Now that Emerson owns the PLC product, I don't know whether the corporate mandate is still in force. 

In my 35+ years I've touched Toshiba, Omron, GE, Schneider, Siemens and Rockwell PLCs.

Steve Bailey is correct having a depth of PLC and Industry experience makes you more valuable.

If you're set on staying temp / contract for the forseeable future, then I would focus on Wage, Environment and intangibles and get the best work experience you can rather than worry about what PLC you're working with.

15 hours ago, junkyardgary said:

but I know I am correct

You aren't wrong.  Siemens is number one in sales world-wide and number two in the U.S.  Rockwell is number one in the U.S. and number two worldwide.  Everything after that is very region dependent.  Learning Emerson (or others) is a good thing, but I wouldn't let my Rockwell skills suffer.  FWIW, supply chains have highlight some weaknesses in Rockwell--I've had some clients expanding their 2nd tier platforms.  Omron's NJ/NX newer stuff and Keyence KV-7500 and KV-8k families, in particular.

acquiring another skill is always a plus and you never know when it will be handy. more importantly, continuous learning helps one be flexible and open to change. i have worked with many PLC brands (AB, Siemens, Mitsubishi, Omron, Beckhoff, Schneider, etc.). knowing any one of them would be more than enough to keep me busy and employable but that never stopped me from trying to learn more while trying to retain as much as possible. as a result PLCs are important but only a part of what i am good at. i like learning and and would not change a thing. knowing more gives me the edge. also there is a freedom to choose even when things get hard and others may be struggling to just stay afloat. when there is a shakedown, first to go are the temp workers and those with limited skill set. and i have seen many people come and go, while i move when it suits me - salary, benefits, hours, travel, work climate, location, etc. so everyone has unique needs and should decide what works for them. if you think it is the best for you to move on, don't let others stand in your way. change can be good but even if there is a regret, it is better to be because of own choice, than someone else's influence.