Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hewking

FX3U-ENET-ADP how to connect and read strings?

6 posts in this topic

hi All

I am completely green in Mitsubishi PLC (i used to program siemens) but need kepware to connect to FX3U pls with ENET adp module.

Could somebody pls help me with the very basics as kepware does not talk to the FX3U yet:

1. What software do i need to read configuration/potentially do changes to FX3U and ENET? - is it free?
  2. How to check the port that the PLC is using - i assumed 5001 as default but it did not work- it is FX3 setting or ENET module setting?
  3. What kepware driver is best for the FX3 with ENET module? - at the moment ethernet driver seemed obvious choice to me
  4. Does ENET adp adapter can server only 1 connection at the time - is it hardware limit or something i can configure in the PLC?
  5. I will be trying to read strings from FX but how are these strings normally stored in mitsubishi FX3? - i found in the documentation that its either DSL  or DSH area - is it something that has to be configured upfront  or can i just use either DSL or DSH memory area?

Massive thanks for any help upfront

Regards

FX Configurator is the software you need.  I think it is free if you have a license for GXWorks.  

That is the extent of help I can offer.  I'm pretty green in the networking department myself.

1 person likes this

Hi hewking,

don't know kepware, but found this description of the Mitsubihshi Ethernet Driver (for kepware)
https://www.kepware.com/getattachment/3daf1ac3-5c76-49ce-bbfe-f0fb1015f6cc/mitsubishi-ethernet-manual.pdf
see page 58ff, Appendix PLC Setup for FX3U Series PLC setup, so i would suggest to try it out, but i don't know if its works with the ENET-ADP module.

In difference to the ENET module the ENET ADP module (left mounterd to plc) is only providing the ethernet interface (hardware interface) and supporting
the Mitshubishi MC-Protocol as described in the manual https://www.allied-automation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/MITSUBISHI_FX3U-ENET-ADP-Ethernet-Users-Manual.pdf,
and is primary used to enable commmunictation with other mitsubishi devices (like hmi/robot controller) using the mitsubishi MC-protocol

the ADP module/ Ethernet connections can't be programmed from the plc program, but an external device using the mc-protocol can be used to fetch data from the plc
so, if  the Kepware driver uses/supports the MC protocol it should work. if the kepware drivers doesn't support mc protocoll, then you will need
to use a ENET module.

ps: the FX Configurator software is used to configure the ENET module but not the ENET ADP module

to your questions:

4.) as far as i know yes only connection at the time
5.) don't know what DSL, DSH area means, as far as i know ther isn't a special adress range used to store string, strings ares stored at hthe reigsisters/variables
     that are used in the program using the ASCII character encoding, e.g. string "ABCD" stored to D10 will be stored as
     D10 (16bit) : 66 (ASCII b) ,65 (ASCII a) ;
     D11 (16bit):  68 (ASCII d), 67 (ASCII c)

1 person likes this

On 22/11/2022 at 8:30 PM, AndreasW said:

4.) as far as i know yes only connection at the time

Hi Andreas

Any chance you confirm your reply regarding point 4. The question was

1. Does ENET adp adapter can server only 1 connection at the time - is it hardware limit or something i can configure in the PLC?

I am bit surprised there might be a limit of 1 connection only on ENET ADP?

Edited by hewking

- Up to 4 connections can be established and used at the same time in the Ethernet adapter.