Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Nau

Omron CJ1 with Siemens S7-300

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm working in a project where we must communicate an Omron CJ1 with a Siemens S7-400. The fist idea was using OPC connectivity by means of a bridge PC, in order to have a simple and fast system integration. Later, a Siemens technician told me that by using TCP/IP protocol by Ethernet, it was possible to directly exchange data between the PLC's. As I know, Omron uses the propietary FINS message structure, while Siemens uses the Industrial Ethernet propietary message structure. So I suppose the communication is not direct and the programation has to decode each message in order to "understand" one each other. This implies a more difficult and long integration work than using OPC. Am I right with this idea? Thank you.

No matter if it's a S7-300 or S7-400, surely you can use Profibus. Perhaps to your surprise; a lot of Omron PCL's can be equipped with a Profibus card, also the CJ1 The master unit is CJ1W-PRM21, download manual here The slave unit is CJ1W-PRT21, download manual here Both can be configured with a member of the CX-suite, CX-Profibus. Check it out here. To search the download section of the Omron Asia Pacific site you have to be registered. Though linking to the downloads directly works In my opinion the Asia Pacific site is far better than the European Regards

Guest_Nau: Please register at MrPLC.com and join the MRPLC.com community Register at MrPLC.com I just got off a long project where I communicated with two S7-400's and Profibus is the way to go. Each Profibus Link passed 192 words between the memory map of the S7 and the memory map of a CS1 (CJ1 would be the same way). I was actually amazed at the throughput compared to Devicenet. Now I see what all the Europeans are raving about.

Profibus is far faster than DeviceNet, and can exchange more data per cycle. Last I knew, DeviceNet at it's fastest was 500k/sec and Profibus is 12M/sec. You can have more nodes on Profibus and more data transmission, and it's also possible to have multiple masters.

Thats 500kbp at 100m with branch lines of 6m and 39m of branch in total.... Regards Profibus I agree with Jay that there seems to be a higher through put, but 12M at 100m i think not.....more like 12M at 1M (roughly 3 ft)... Hey if i am wrong i am wrong...if it is 12M at 100M then thats pretty darn good...but i doubt it...

Thank you for the information, but nobody answered about the Ethernet protocols compatibility: FINS and Insutrial Ethernet. About Profibus, an Omron technician told me that in the CJ1 this protocol was only for IO data, not for internal memory data. I need to communicate internal memory data from the Omron PLC. Is it possible? If it is, it seems to be the solution. Thank you.

Yes you are right about your question.... in fact you can construct a TCP/IP protocol yourself, using all available instructions. But the only standard protocol is FINS ethernet. We have done a project where the CJ1 is connected to Modicon PCL's, using Modbus TCP/IP through port 502. But creating the protocol is a lot of work. About the Profibus, it's not only for IO datea, as far as I know you can map anything you want, either direct area or other data areas buffered in the communicated area.

It's logical that you can map any memory area, but I had been told that it was not possible. Thank you for your fast reply. Where can I find information about the memory areas in the CJ1? I worked with a C200H some time ago and I suppose it is similar (DM, IR, HR, etc.), but I don't have any documentation about CJ1.

Not quite.... DM has decome D, HR has become H, and all instructions settings are done in HEX instead of some BCD. If you insert your CJ1 CPU PLC in CX-programmer and look at the memory section you will have a view all memory types/ranges. You can read all about it in the SYSMAC CS/CJ Series Programming Manual Edited by PdL