Reilly

Ethernet Communication Between CS1G and RedLion Graphite HMI

7 posts in this topic

I am attempting to establish ethernet communication between a CS1G PLC with CS1W-ETN21 card and a RedLion Graphite HMI.  I have effortlessly established communication with various other PLCs and Graphite HMIs in the past, but the CS1G is kicking my butt. 

Attached are 5 pictures showing what I have. 

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could take a look and give me a hand getting this to work.

Thank you.

HMI1.png

HMI2.png

PLC.png

Resized_20221116_094142.jpeg

Resized_20221116_094151.jpeg

Change the source unit in the G3 to be 0. Try that, it it doesn’t work you will most likely need a routing table in the PLC

2 people like this

I agree with @lostcontrol.  You always want the source and destination unit numbers to be set to 0 for this type of communication.  The unit number would only be used if you were trying to communicate directly to a network card or other unit.  Unit # set to 0 is referring to communicating to the CPU, which is the desired result.

One other note with regards to the routing table:

If there is another network card in the PLC, it will have to have a routing table.  A routing table just assigns network numbers to each network. So, Ethernet could be net 1 and some other card could be net 2.

1 person likes this

Thank you both.

I apologize for the late follow up.

I found that changing the source unit to 0 is correct.

But strangely, I found that I could only communicate with the CS1G if I disconnected the CP1L that is also being used in this project.  I assume this means I am going to be needing a routing table in the CS1G. Is that correct?  Or is that telling me something else?

Also, while desperately changing every setting I could to see what would work, I also discovered that with the CP1L disconnected I can communicate with the CS1G with the destination network and source network fields for the CS1G in crimson both set to either 0 or 4.  Clearly I still have much to learn.

Thank you again for your help!

I'll continue to update this as I progress in case it helps someone else in the future.

1 hour ago, Reilly said:

But strangely, I found that I could only communicate with the CS1G if I disconnected the CP1L that is also being used in this project.  I assume this means I am going to be needing a routing table in the CS1G. Is that correct?  Or is that telling me something else?

You can have multiple nodes on a single network, as long as they have unique Node Numbers. That behavior sounds like a duplicate Node Number issue. If you stick with Network 0 you should be able to avoid routing tables all together.

1 person likes this

I understand what you're saying @photovoltaic.  I'm working with everything on a closed network in my test area to try to get everything correct before taking it out into the plant, so there shouldn't be any duplication of node numbers, but I'll look again to be sure.  Thank you.

54 minutes ago, Reilly said:

I understand what you're saying @photovoltaic.  I'm working with everything on a closed network in my test area to try to get everything correct before taking it out into the plant, so there shouldn't be any duplication of node numbers, but I'll look again to be sure.  Thank you.

Duplicate IP addresses may cause it as well. Remember to power cycle the PLCs after any changes

1 person likes this