RobinEriksen

L18ERM 16#0203

14 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a CompactLogix L18ERM which has a fault message. It says (Code 16#0203) Connection timed out.

I have tried to download a new blank project to see if there where any faults in the current one, but its still the same.

Any suggestions?

Connection to what?  And what software is showing you that message?

I use Studio 5000. This is the fault message I get. And the I/O lights is flashing green.

Connection.PNG.ed7f3475019e8fee60ad87231

Just a few questions to hopefully clarify things for us.

1.  Is this running application that broke or is a new installation you're trying to make run?

2.  What sub-model of L18ERM are you using is it Series A or Series B?

Its a running application. The Controller has been turned off for a couple of weeks and this happend when it was turned back on again today.

Series B.

That's a local module, not a network module.  It is possible that the backplane needs to be taken apart and re-assembled.

It looks like that's the embedded I/O that's built into the processor, but it can still be affected by the end cap or bad connections on the Compact Bus. Try pturmel's suggestion and disconnect/re-connect all of the modules and the end cap. With power off, of course...
Here's a tech note (access level: TechConnect):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/466339/loc/en_US

When you downloaded the new program, did you keep the same firmware version? I saw a Tech Note about an anomaly in v20.11-20.12 with these processors and their embedded I/O acting funny with firmware change (access level: Everyone):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/498109/loc/en_US

There's another anomaly caused by sending a "reset" command via the AOP or MSG instruction in v20.13 and earlier (access level : everyone):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/519749/loc/en_US

1 person likes this

On 11/15/2022 at 7:39 PM, RobinEriksen said:

I use Studio 5000. This is the fault message I get. And the I/O lights is flashing green.

Connection.PNG.ed7f3475019e8fee60ad87231

you probably want to make sure that you have the right number of IO in the configuration as well... considering its the embedded IO that can't be detected properly.

I ended up replacing the controller. I tried everything you guys said in here, but I cannot get it to work.

I have a different question regarding the same controller type. On the rockwell webpage it says that the 1769-L18ERM-B1BB series B is compatible with revision 21.011, but when I try to flash it to that revision it says that it is not. Does it need to be a series A to be able to run revision 21.011?

Studio5000 lets me create a project with a L18ERM at version 33, I do not have any hardware to test with.

But as Studio5000 lets me create a project you should be able to flash the hardware. 

Yes that is also what I thought. Studio 5000 lets me create a project in version 21 for the L18ERM.

Ok, so I can flash it to version 20. I think I might just be doing something wrong when I am trying to download and flash the version.

Their compatibility page says that it will go all the way up to v34.012. Series A and B start at 20.011,while series C starts at 30.016. I would probably skip ahead to v24 or 30 if it were me. Unless you have a compelling need to stay at v20.

What error do you get when you try to flash it?

In ControlFlash plus it says "Revision downloaded is not compatible with this device's hardware series. Choose a revision that is compatible"

And in ControlFlash, the firmware does not appear.

Not really sure if I am downloading the firmware correct. I get a zipped file with a .msi file inside. I tried to run the .msi file and it says installation complete, but the firmware is still not in the list in controlflash.

Edited by RobinEriksen