Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skammp

equipment for carefree work (PC or Notebook or Workstation)

3 posts in this topic

Hello all

I would like to know what kind of equipment you use as PLC programmers or as technologists of automation and processes.
What do you recommend for using programs such as TIA and other Siemens software, Studio 5000, IQ works and other automation programs.
Please give your opinions on what you use and what you would use.

greetings to all and all the best

Klemen

The software you choose is dictated by the hardware you choose.  So, you are really asking what hardware we would choose.

On the low end, I like AutomationDirect's Productivity series.  I don't mind Rockwell's Micro800 family, but only because the software is free. /:

AutomationDirect's drives and servos are functional and inexpensive, but are weak on communication features.

I like AutomationDirect's C-More HMIs more than any other pure HMI product.  Reasonably priced, too.

In the mid-range, I like Rockwell's CompactLogix family, and Omron's NJ series.

On the high-end, I like Rockwell's ControlLogix, and Omron's NX series.

Rockwell's drives and servos are decent, but not spectacular, for the price.  I haven't used Omron drives or servos.

I've seen some good stuff from Mitsubishi and Keyence, but haven't had an excuse to use them.  Keyence Vision systems are very good.

I avoid Siemens processor and networking products like the plague.  (Their drives and servos are pretty good, though.)

I'll offer some counterpoint to @pturmel from my experiences.

The Automation Direct is the king of the low end in my humble opinion.

The Rockwell Micro 800 was such a "pain in the ..." to me when it first came out, I actually told an RA rep "to please burn down the warehouse where they're stored" when asked what I thought.  Of course the latest versions have improved, but they lack the robustness of the Control and Compact Logix Systems.

I stopped using Omrons around 2000 because I switched from a worksite that was 100% Japanese PLCs to a Rockwell based factory.

I've always found Toshiba and Rockwell Drives worth what you invest in them.

I recently discovered the ABB Drives which cost wise beat Rockwell and Toshiba for the same application.

I also have avoided SIemens like the plague as well.  For those that learn and know them SIemens PLC are solid, but until you immerse yourself in them they'll be a pain to have around.