Divemaster5734

DEVNET-A cable

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

The short version is I'm working on a SCADA system at a municipal facility that is upgrading.

It's obvious the specifications haven't been updated since the original build sometime in the late 80's.

Additionally, while I am a master electrician with decades in the electrical industry, I've spent the last couple decades in industrial and high rise, and am therefore mostly ignorant of some evolution's in this facet of controls.

The reason for this admission is the requirement for the armored device net cable is a CAT 5 that includes a C-L-X sheath with a 600 VAC rating.

Back in the 80's and 90's all Class 1 DIV 1 data was corrugated steel or aluminum armored with a PVC jacket.

I've not been able to locate anything with a similar construction being manufactured.

I'm hoping to find out what is the current accepted armoring for device net cabling through either NEC class1 or class 2 rated areas.

Obviously, I realize every county has their own spec, with different specs for each facility.

What I need to do is weigh currently accepted builds from other areas and submit recommended alternative.

I already have something in mind, and am hoping for confirmation from peers.

Yes, I can send it back to the engineers who just rubber stamped plans and specs for the last 20 or 30 years, but it would take a year before they ever made up their mind without someone holding their hands to lead they way.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

By "devicenet", do you mean the branded DeviceNet, a fieldbus protocol that rides on CANbus physical media?  Which would NOT be Cat5 ethernet.  DeviceNet specifies two pairs, one shielded for the CANbus comms, the other, not necessarily shielded, for 24VDC power. You can use branded DeviceNet in class 1 div 1 with suitable power-limiting supplies on the 24V pair, and barriers on the comm channel.

If you really mean ethernet for devices, the Cat 5 might be suitable, but will likely still need barriers.  (I haven't done class 1 div 1 ethernet.)

19 hours ago, pturmel said:

By "devicenet", do you mean the branded DeviceNet, a fieldbus protocol that rides on CANbus physical media?  Which would NOT be Cat5 ethernet.  DeviceNet specifies two pairs, one shielded for the CANbus comms, the other, not necessarily shielded, for 24VDC power. You can use branded DeviceNet in class 1 div 1 with suitable power-limiting supplies on the 24V pair, and barriers on the comm channel.

If you really mean ethernet for devices, the Cat 5 might be suitable, but will likely still need barriers.  (I haven't done class 1 div 1 ethernet.)

I was apprehensive about my wording for the post.

The intent of the post wasn't to illuminate that part of the incorrect spec, (which you are correct in pointing out), in as much as an attempt to discern what is the current armored devicenet

cable in use.

The mention of cat5 was a result  of part of the description of the obsolete wire, which I should have left out.

The specification section was so riddled with inconsistencies and obsolete parts throughout that in the end I sent an RFI.

1 person likes this