BobLfoot

Red Lion Graphite HMI to PLC 5

6 posts in this topic

I have an existing system of PLCs both ControlLogix and PLC 5 communicating with Wonderware. 

The PLC 5 communication is Ethernet to a ControlLogix Gateway and then DH Plus to the PLC 5.

The OEM I am working with tells me that Red Lion Graphite HMI using Crimson 3.0 won't make the hop / routing.

He's proposing going serial to the PLC 5.

I found a tech note on Red Lion's support page about routing through backplane and our a ControlNet card to a Logix PLC but nothing yet about DH Plus and PLC 5.

Anyone done this?

Hmmmm....that's interesting. I've done serial to a PLC5 but not what you're proposing. I wouldn't have even thought it possible if you hadn't found the tech note. Have you been able to ask Red Lion support directly? If there's an HMI out there that could do that, Red Lion is probably it.

Not that familiar with the red lion stuff, but if it accepts a "connection path" to hop through a backplane to any other network type, I would expect it to work with DH+, too.  FWIW, A DHRIO's channel "A" is port #3 in a connection path, and "B" is #4.  So if you had a DHRIO in slot 5, and the PLC5 is node 7 on channel B, the connection path would be "1 5 4 7".

1 person likes this

Bob I'm 90% sure you can do the hope. Off of memory when you the PLC comms up there is s path tab that allows you to do specify the path. I remember doing ut like an old school MSG path where 1,2,192.168.1.9,1,5,2,44. I dont remember the exact call out for the paths. 

Red Lion tech support responded and "They do not support PLC5 multi-hop" I was told.

I may still test the hop when I get my hands on the hardware.

You can run Crimson 3.0 emulator and do all the testung you need if you have the PLC already. It wont work over you laptop wifi it will require a hardwired connection. Ask me how I learned that little problem......

I do a bunch of testing with the emulator in 3.0 i just change the hardware to a 308A and start playing.

1 person likes this