mmmmgggg

Get the output of FileWriteVar in human format

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am using FileWriteVar function to save in a file the value of an array. I have read in the documentation that this data is saved in binary format.

Can I see this data saved in the file in a human format? It doesn't matter using Wordpad, Excel, Internet online converter...

What's the decodification type of this file? For example, when you import a file in Excel it asks you if it is Unicode (UTF-8), European, Arabian...

Thank you for your help!

Hi!

First of all, thank you for your response.

I have tried converting my binary file extracted from Sysmac in the webpage https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/binary-to-ascii.html (the binary file extracted with the function FileWriteVar) but I don't receive the response that I wanted.

The array that I want to save is a recipe, so I don't want to start concatening the elements and converting to string and things like this, because then, I want to use the same file with FileReadVar function to return to the past values in Sysmac.

ascii.PNG

Convert the numbers to strings first if you want them human-readable

Capture.PNG

Edited by photovoltaic
Not enough coffee

Just noticed your comment about strings... I don't see a way around it. You can covert from a string just as easily when properly parsed

Hello! Thank you for your answer!

I was saying that I didn't want to convert to string directly from Sysmac because my variable is not a simple real; the variable that I'm writing in a file is a structute created  by me composed by strings, array of reals, array of booleans, booleans... But I understand that I can't open the output file of FileWriteVar in a human readable format unless I don't convert each element to a string.

Consider using something like python's "struct" class to read your binary file and print the decoded results.  It can handle mixed structure types.

Hi @pturmel

I see very interesting what are talking about python struct.

I have tried with some code samples found on Internet, but I don't get the result that I want.

For example with this code sample:

import struct
f = open(r"C:\Users\user\Desktop\RECIPE_001.dat", 'rb')
data = f.read()
data_unpack = struct.unpack('>f?7s', data)
print("data_unpack: ", data_unpack) 
f.close()

I get the next error:

struct.error: unpack requires a buffer of 12 bytes

Do you know what I need to write instead of '>f?7s' regarding to the file extracted from Sysmac?

Thank you!

Suppose your recipe is in structure, you can use the function "AddDelimiter" to generated CSV line and put to text file.