Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
josecardenas

"Which PLC select?"

3 posts in this topic

Im Work in a Thermal Power Plant. We look to automatize our old alarm anunciator whit a new PLC. We have a 500 inputs and 300 outputs for this aplication. We need a PLC with redundant power supply and redundant processor. I need to implement a HMI interface for the operators. We need a trensd of principal variables of the thermal cycle. We need to post a alarm summary with time stamp for analyze possyble problems in the plant. Also we need to implement automation in start and stop motors, pumps, open and close valves, and very other equipment as a HV breakers, electrical protections, etc. We look the Omron CS1 Duplex for this aplication. What another brand or model reccomend??? I'm not a PLC Expert. I apreciate very much your reccomendation about this selection. Many Thanks.. Moved to this forum - you will probably get more answers on other brands here - JA Edited by Jay Anthony

I think the bottom line is, any of the major PLC manufacturers would probably have a product line to satisfy your needs. What you should ask yourself is, what is most readily available/supported in your area? (I'm assuming you are not in the USA) What is most commonly used in your industry? How big of an issue is cost? Sounds like you're looking for some high-end features. From Allen-Bradley, you'd probably want to look at the PLC-5 or controllogix families. The PLC-5 offers redundant processors, redundant power supplies, and redundant peer-to-peer communication links (Controlnet) as options. I'm not as up on the Controllogix family but I believe you'd get similar functionality there. I don't have much experience with Omron but chances are they'd have a similar offering. Take a good look at who has a presence in your area and your industry and compare their features and prices.

My 2 cents: Having worked with PLC's and DCS systems, when it comes to the kind of features you are looking for, I believe a DCS system would be best. Both can accomplish what you are looking for, but this type of application is what DCS's were designed for. The up front cost will be higher, but the development time will be shorter (less labor cost), because redundantcy is so much easier. Contact whatever DCS vendors are in your area and compare prices. A few I can think of are: Honeywell, Invensys (Foxboro), and Emerson's Delta V.