kckku

NX-ECC203 vs. NX-ECC202

6 posts in this topic

What is the difference between the NX-ECC203 and the NX-ECC202 couplers? The one major difference is the 'Task period prioritized refreshing'. What is this and why should I care? 

Omron is saying there is no way to get any ECC203 couplers before the end of the year but there is a chance to get some ECC202's.

Check ebay or other vendors for potential leftover or returns. I'm still waiting for my 11 PLCs and 11 HMIs that I've ordered in Feb.

ECC203 supports a ring topology in addition to the higher speed.

If you are running a very fast cycle time on your master then you'll need the ECC203 to keep up. It's rare to find a master that can do 125us cycle time but the NX7 can.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:48 PM, photovoltaic said:

ECC203 supports a ring topology in addition to the higher speed.

If you are running a very fast cycle time on your master then you'll need the ECC203 to keep up. It's rare to find a master that can do 125us cycle time but the NX7 can.

So we are forced by our corporate overlords to use the NX7 PLC. Another story for another time.

I checked our current NX7 PLC set task period and it's set to 1ms.

I checked our task execution time monitor and the minimum is at 275 us.

Does this mean that we will never scan/execute faster than 275 us? Meaning that the ECC202 will be fine and the ECC203 at 125 us is overkill?

2022-09-26_10-25-57.jpg

2022-09-26_9-45-08.jpg

1 hour ago, kckku said:

So we are forced by our corporate overlords to use the NX7 PLC. Another story for another time.

I checked our current NX7 PLC set task period and it's set to 1ms.

I checked our task execution time monitor and the minimum is at 275 us.

Does this mean that we will never scan/execute faster than 275 us? Meaning that the ECC202 will be fine and the ECC203 at 125 us is overkill?

2022-09-26_10-25-57.jpg

2022-09-26_9-45-08.jpg

Ethercat IO updates at the same interval as your primary periodic task (1ms). You would need to offload a lot of code from the primary task if you wanted to utilize a 125us primary task.

"Does this mean that we will never scan/execute faster than 275 us? Meaning that the ECC202 will be fine and the ECC203 at 125 us is overkill?"

Correct. Sysmac PLCs are task-based so after the 537.5us of code crunching and background stuff it will sit there and patiently wait for the next 1ms interval. If you are using the 1ms interval then either coupler will be fine. The 202 will handle a 250us comm cycle and the 203 a 125us cycle - you're far beyond both limits.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, photovoltaic said:

Ethercat IO updates at the same interval as your primary periodic task (1ms). You would need to offload a lot of code from the primary task if you wanted to utilize a 125us primary task.

"Does this mean that we will never scan/execute faster than 275 us? Meaning that the ECC202 will be fine and the ECC203 at 125 us is overkill?"

Correct. Sysmac PLCs are task-based so after the 537.5us of code crunching and background stuff it will sit there and patiently wait for the next 1ms interval. If you are using the 1ms interval then either coupler will be fine. The 202 will handle a 250us comm cycle and the 203 a 125us cycle - you're far beyond both limits.

Thanks for the feedback. This is our first Sysmac application so at the time we were quite sure how to assign tasks, etc. Our vendor just ended up putting all the programs into the primary task. This is one big dial table with 16 substations working independently.

Like I mentioned previously, our corporate overlords told us to use a NX7 when a NJ would have worked fine at the time (2018 or so). Previously we used the CJ2H-CPU66 units and our typical scan time for an entire machine was around 10ms. When we went to the NX7 and say execution times around 500 us, we were quite speechless. We never went back to adjust the primary task assignment. It looked like the NX7 can run the space station all by itself without issues.

It's always good to have a place like this forum to keep my sanity. I will let the vendor know that we should be able to use the ECC202 coupler without issues. The incoming machine is a copy of the existing dial table.

Thanks.

2 people like this