Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neo

SOFNET S7 OPC Server

3 posts in this topic

Hi All I am trying to create an Omron CX-Supervisor project to communicate to a Siemens S7-300 PLC via OPC over industrial ethernet. I have ordered a CP343-1 ethernet module for the PLC & SOFTNET S7 for the PC that will run Omron CX-Supervisor. I have done a similar project communicating to an Allen Bradley SLC5/05 PLC via OPC over ethernet. I assume that the principles will be the same as the OPC protocol is a defined standard. The Omron CX-Supervisor principles for the Allen Bradley system are as follows: Server Name - Once the OPC server was installed I just selected the appropriate item from a list box i.e. RSLinx OPC Server. I assume for SOFTNET S7 I will see a similar item. Adding an item Name - Arbitrary really but I usually give a name similar to the addressing syntax i.e. DB1_DBD0, DB1_DBW0, M0_0 etc Item ID - This is the important part. As I understand this has to be the exact addressing syntax as used in the PLC normally i.e. DB1.DBD0, DB1.DBW0, M0.0 etc However, this is just for single words, dwords & bits. To make communications more efficient in the Allen Bradley system I could pass data as arrays i.e. N7:0,L100 (passing 100 integers starting at N7:0). Will I able to do DB1.DBW0,L100 or is the ,L# specific to the Allen Bradley OPC server or is it an OPC standard syntax? If not how do I address arrays with SOFTNET S7? Access Path - As I understand not all OPC servers support this. For Allen Bradley I defined "Allen_Bradley" in the OPC server & defined the ethernet driver as the preferred path. Does SOFTNET S7 support access paths? Data type - Pretty self explanatory. Array - a tick box which I tick. Any help or guidance on this would be gratefully received. My area of expertise is with Omron CX-Supervisor, Microsoft Visual Basic, Allen Bradley... so I can be of assistance on these matters in return for help on this matter. Best regards Neo PS Sorry for the length of the post

Arrays for SIEMENS OPC are possible. Use OPC Scout software to adjust them Best reards!