Luis Martínez

HUSKY HMI Disaster Recovery

6 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Recently I have been in charge of documenting and protecting software related to Injection Molding Systems equipment. We have several old-fashioned HUSKY machines with HMI based on MSDOS6.22.

We use Logic Master for backup and restore purpose, but I have no clear how to recover from a disaster on HMI. We have grouped the .PKC, PKR and PKL files by machine ID and I don't know how to create  the 3 diskettes for each HMI.

I Apologize if my inquire is off-topic on this forum branch but I will apreciate any help tha I can receive.

Thanks in advanced

I worked for a distributor of GE Fanuc PLCs and I remember that Husky used a lot of GE Fanuc PLCs. I don't have any direct experience with Husky, but I am familiar with GE Fanuc, including Logicmaster software. Can you post a picture of the HMI? That might help me identify exactly what you are dealing with. GE Fanuc used to brand label Nematron hardware for their HMI offering, and they had a software product called Cimplicity ADS Alphanumeric Display System that was an add-on module to Logicmaster.

Thanks for your answer Steve.

I found Logicmaster 90-30 the folder for each machine ID. I have been checked the .PK* files on the backup directory but  my question is what happens if one of the set of diskettes is damaged. I don't know how to generate the diskettes images.

HUSKY_HMI.jpg

Edited by Luis Martínez

First question is what version of Logicmaster are you using? Second question is are you willing to upgrade to the final version of Logicmaster? I can provide you with a .zip file of version 9.05 of Logicmaster which will run in DOSBox under a 32-bit operating system and youwdon't need three 3.5" floppies. 

I don't recognize the control panel/HMI as anything GE Fanuc ever offered, which could mean it is a Husky custom industrial PC. You may need to consult Husky for details on it.

Steve, I apreciate all your help.

I found a PC with Logicmaster 9030 v9.05 and believe me, I'm trying to put the puzzle together because I know that HMI module runs MSDOS 6.22 as the operating system and that, on the other hand, a set of three diskettes must be generated to transfer the application to the HMI. I can't find any manual that tells me how to treat the .PK* files of each unit and how to transfer the application to the HMI if this unit, due to some event, fails the operating system.

My responsibility is to document everything in the factory so that we have a quick response to any event regarding the HUSKY equipment and its operating system. Suppose the operating system on the HMI gets corrupted. Do you know any step-by-step procedure to reload the operating system and its applications back to the HMI?

I am asking because you wrote "... in DOSBox under a 32-bit operating system and you don't need three 3.5" floppies." and just today I gave a team instruction to prepare a PC with DOSBox in order to have a HUSKY environment with each machine's set of files (.PK*) but I am blind for next steps because I don't know the work environment of this type of machine.

Thanks

HMI_Externals_IO.jpg

Edited by Luis Martínez

I'm a bit confused by your comments about needing three diskettes for backups.

First, Logicmaster used a utility called PKZIP to create backup files and PKUNZIP to restore from the backup. PKZIP created a number of files with extensions like .PKA, .PKB, etc. That sounds like what you're describing when you talk about .PK* files. The .PK* files should be in a subdirectory of the Logicmaster project folder for each machine. The subdirectory will be named "BACKUP".

Logicmaster was originally distributed on 3.5" floppies and at some revision levels it probably required three floppies to hold all the files. Is that what you mean when you talk about three floppies?

There was a product called Cimplicity 90 ADS for creating HMI screens. The HMI application runs on a coprocessor module in the PLC. For a 90-30 PLC the part number for the coprocessor module is IC693ADS301. You create and edit the HMI screens using software calle "ADS Builder", which is an add-on module to Logicmaster.

If you can post your all of your .PK* files for one machine I can try to restore from them and perhaps offer a bit more help. I have the manuals for Cimplicity 90 ADS, but I'm not sure if they were ever issued in .pdf format.