Ron_Smith

RSLinx Classic Lite

11 posts in this topic

First off, hey everyone, good to see the forum is still very active! ok... my problem... I accidently plugged in our office network cable instead of my automation network cable and started my ETHIP driver. When I went to RSWho all my devices were globes. I googled it and saw that others had seen this but didn't see any remedies I wanted to try. 

I did connect to my automation network and was able to restore some of my devices with the EDS wizard, but others failed to install. I can still connect to everything, so that's not an issue, but it's really triggering my OCD. LOL.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

I've seen this before but more often with the yellow question marks. If you have a backup of the driver, restore it. Otherwise, note the driver settings, delete and re-create the driver offline and next time you plug in everything should be normal. Then use the RSLinx Classic Backup Restore Utility to create a backup for the next time something like this happens. 

Would be nice if someone else could jump in with a magic one-click solution, besides don't plug into the wrong network, lol.

1 person likes this

Not sure if this helps, but I have had a similar experience with yellow question marks in rslinx. Mine was with the SLC 500 5/05 processors. The reason for it was that some of the 5/05 processors below firmware 10 show up with the yellow question mark in rslinx through the ethernet port, but all functionality still worked. With firmware revisions 10 and above it is not an issue. Can you right click on a unit in the rslinx tree and be able to view anything under it's properties? 

6 hours ago, ElectronGuru said:

I've seen this before but more often with the yellow question marks. If you have a backup of the driver, restore it. Otherwise, note the driver settings, delete and re-create the driver offline and next time you plug in everything should be normal. Then use the RSLinx Classic Backup Restore Utility to create a backup for the next time something like this happens. 

Would be nice if someone else could jump in with a magic one-click solution, besides don't plug into the wrong network, lol.

Yes, some of them are the yellow question mark, but most are globes. And yes, I did delete the driver and re-create it, reboot and go online. If memory serves me correctly, it think a couple more updated. I have 167 IPs assigned so it might be as simple as repeating this process until everything is updated. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the backup just save your driver configuration?

I worked all weekend, so I’m taking a family day tomorrow. Will give a progress update Wednesday.

Thanks Again,

Ron

Yes, a backup will have your configuration saved to what it was at the time of the backup. With that many ip addresses it could take a while for everything to update. You could do a fresh install of RSLinx, but this would be a last resort option. You would have to reconfigure everything. You could also try to zero out the packet data or check the communication log. 

1 person likes this

What OS are you using? 32 or 64 bit?

Windows 10 64 bit. Have had very little time to tinker with this, but slowly I’m getting more and more devices restored. PowerFlex 70 drives, PanelView 1000+ and I/O cards seem to be the most finicky. Will add any more info that might be useful for anyone searching for a solution to this type of annoyance.

Oh, and yes, don’t plug into the wrong network and start RSLinx.  😋

Quick update for the archives. Had a little spare time today and was going to reinstall rslinx when I noticed there was a newer version (4.2 vs 4.3) so I downloaded 4.3 and installed. Problem solved. Didn't even have to reconfigure my drivers.  

That also makes me believe that a fresh install would have worked too.  :-)

@Ron_Smith I'm currently having an issue where from within the Studio 5000 Task Monitor the RSLinx Ehternet driver sees the nodes but won't let me connect to them. The Knowledgebase solution was to upgrade to 4.3, so I'll be trying that in the coming week. RSLinx seems to have some quirks here lately.

14 hours ago, ElectronGuru said:

@Ron_Smith I'm currently having an issue where from within the Studio 5000 Task Monitor the RSLinx Ehternet driver sees the nodes but won't let me connect to them. The Knowledgebase solution was to upgrade to 4.3, so I'll be trying that in the coming week. RSLinx seems to have some quirks here lately.

Quirks is a much kinder word than I would have used... lol. I had another issue I had almost forgotten about. RSLinx would see a ENBT/A card, but I couldn't get past it. When I clicked to expand the tree nothing was there. The upgade fixed that too.