SLJackson

FT Activation Manager through VMWare and a VPN connection

3 posts in this topic

I am sure this question has been asked before but I cannot seem to find what I am looking for in my searches. I have just started working for a new company and I am working remote. I will be running my Rockwell Machines on Workstation Pro. Normally I have always had an individual license on my host machine to share with my VMs but this company use a license server that I will connect to through a VPN. Can anyone tell me how to set up my VM connection to look at the VPN? I have tried several things myself but with no success. I can ping the server from my host but no matter  how I am trying to set up my virtual adaptors can I ping the server or fetch activations. Thanks in advance.

Is there NAT configured in your host so that traffic from the VMs gets tagged with the right VM for replies?  Can the VMs browse the internet indirectly through your host?

{ Also, many enterprise VPN products lock down the client network -- you might need to get your IT group involved. }

One way I've seen it work is to used a Bridged connection in your VM with DHCP enabled. Attach the bridged adapter to the host's NIC that's connected to the company network that provides the licenses. Then, and this is most important, cross your fingers. @pturmel's point about internet access for the VMs is a key troubleshooting step. At my previous location (different division of the same corporation), we could lend/borrow licenses between PCs but here it's blocked. I tried it once between 2 laptops that could ping each other but as soon as I pointed FT Activation Manager at the other laptop, our firewall locked it down so I couldn't even ping any more. It even gave the host laptop a popup warning about an attack. I have a very strong suspicion that you'll have to involve your IT folks in this.

You *may* be able to install FT Activation manager on the host and have it point to the server, then have FTAM on your VM point to the host. I really don't think that will work reliably, though.