Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anaerobe

Adept Board Swap Error - No robot connected to system

4 posts in this topic

We have a very old Adept robot system that has been running for 20 years and with minimal issues, so I am very out of practice working with it. The setup is an Adept Cobra 800, MV Compact Controller with the amps, AWC board, and VJI board.

This week the PC could not communicate with the controller, and the network connection to the AWC board kept saying connected, then not connected alternating every few seconds. We figured there was a malfunction with the ethernet/network functionality on the AWC board. We installed a new AWC board, and swapped the memory card from the old board to the new board. I was able to connect to the controller via the PC. However if we try to enable power and calibrate the robot, it says "no robot connected to system". When V+ loads in the Adept Windows terminal, it does not show any robot ID or serial number. Also am getting a message at the top which I don't remember if was tehre before or not that says "protection error".

Any ideas on why the robot is not detected, or if what I did wasn't correct?

i have never uses that robot but based on quick internet search it seem to be a small robot arm (scara). btw. AWC board is not just an Etherent card... it is an entire motherboard (controller) with a lot of functionality. Did you follow the instructions in the manual on replacement?

flash card is substitute for a HDD and contains OS etc.

but key system settings (robot serial number, licenses etc.) are stored in NVRAM.

when AWC is replaced, all settings need to be transferred, that includes flash card, NVRAM, address configuration...

not sure what the "protection error" message is but may as well be complaint about missing license.

Adept MV Controller.pdf

I was able to get this worked out and resolved. When I replaced the AWC (adept windows) board along with putting the flash memory card from the old board into the new one, the PC computer could connect to the controller. However the robot and other licences are stored on a small NVRAM chip. I had to remove the NVRAM from the old board, and install it in the new board. Once I did that, everything worked.

1 person likes this

nice