Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
junkyardgary

V30.01 vs V30.02 any issues with the minor revision difference?

4 posts in this topic

I'm having issues saving the program on an older machine running a 1769-L30ER controller. I can open and close the file offline, using PAC machine edition software -no problem. I cannot upload, or go online, citing some RS linx pathway issues. Be aware this is run through an Emerson PAC program that is supposed to open/communicate/upload/download through a Profinet interface using the PAC software (AKA Proficy). I have doubts the communication in Rockwell (which is pretty specific about how it works), is set up correctly to see the Profinet via PAC software RSlinx  pathways. 

I can directly open studio 5000, change my I/P address, up/download via ethernet cable, works perfect. The company wants me to "check in" the project through their PAC software, which opens, closes and saves the .ACD file in their database inside the PAC system. It doesn't seem to work. I did notice the RSlogix was written in 30.01.11 and this laptop is using 30.02.xx software. I assumed that should not be an issue. correct? 

I'm trying to eliminate any errors on my part, before telling the company their software just isn't working for this application. I'm here to edit the machine and leave, not to repair the 3rd party software they own, that does not appear to be communicating correctly.  

Sounds like their problem, not yours.

If the system works for them, you may have to borrow a laptop from them to make the change. Who knows what special firewall/security/etc. software/settings are different between your PC and theirs. If even their laptops don't work...like @pturmel said, they need to sort out their source control system. It seems like a bit of a crazy kludge to use a Profinet via a 3rd party system to connect to the PLC. If it normally works and has recently stopped working, then whoever set up that system needs to support it. Or, I guess you could bill a nice hourly rate to try to sort it out yourself.

I've never seen a production facility use Proficy to communicate to a Rockwell PLC, when the rockwell works perfectly fine though direct ethernet network in the building. The only advantage is the Proficy keeps a copy of the ACD file inside a project environment with the HMI, misc other programs in a nice package form. But if it doesn't work, then its a mute point to demand other people to use it. 

I gave them their fixed program on a thumb drive, then emailed another copy, with the change logs, and left it for them to sort out. They are also removing Rockwell 500 PLC's and installing Emerson PLCs to run large machines in the plant. This doesn't make any sense either, but it's their money. I can understand swapping out the Panelview HMI's for another HMI brand, but not the PLC that works perfectly fine. Perhaps they plan to drop the Rockwell software and Tech-connect expense in the near future and need to rid themselves of the A-B hardware. Not sure.