Cannonier10

Resetting Password on a L7x Processor

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to reset the Safety Lock/Unlock Passwords on a 1756 - L7x Processor?  Can't really find a way to do this after looking through the documentation for a couple of days.

Do you know the passwords?  If you do, you can use them in Tools => Safety to change to empty passwords.  If you don't know them, then I think your only choice is to blow away the entire program.  If all else fails, a firmware download should wipe it.

2 people like this

Do you know where I can find the procedure to blow away a L7?  I already have the procedure for the L8 style, and I am familiar with removing the battery on the L6 style, but I can't find anything on the L7.  Didn't find a reset button on the PLC like the L8, and as far as I know the L7's don't have a battery like the L6's do.

The PLC already has firmware version 33 so I guess I could try to update it to version 34.  But I guess at this point best case scenario is I can wipe it and then re flash it to version 33.

Thanks.

Can you just download a new (or empty) program to the PLC? Or does it ask for the password to download a new project?

You may be able to just re-flash the current firmware if you aren't ready to go to v34. Or just flash a different version and flash v33 back on it.

Someone (me :D) safety locked it in a project and didn't write the password down because this is a controller we keep in our facility for testing.  Updating the firmware to v34 removed the lock.  I'll leave it as 34 for now, we just haven't had a chance to test Studio Version 34 yet so I guess this is as good a time as any.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, Cannonier10 said:

Someone (me :D) safety locked it in a project and didn't write the password down because this is a controller we keep in our facility for testing.  

You once again make the case for always using a reputable password vault application.

Glad the download solved things.