Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martyndwn

VMware Workstation Pro 16 network issues

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am running a Windows 10 VM with Rockwell Studio 5000 on a Windows 10 host PC. I communicate to the PLC network through a USB-C to ethernet adapter. Occasionally, the communications drop out, if this happens the only way I can re-establish comms, is to shutdown the VM and restore defaults in the virtual network editor, as this can happens a few times each day, it can be very frustrating.

When this happens I cannot ping the host either, until the defaults are restored and the VM re-started.

I am using the bridged connection in the VM.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you

This kind of deficiency in Windows networking is why I run all my VMs in a Linux host.  I can create a persistent bridge in Linux that is always available to VMs, even if the real-world port for that bridge disappears.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.  I was never able to get Windows to do truly advanced networking on its own.

not long ago i had to do some work using RS5000 running in vmware15.1. worked like a charm. never had any issues. the possible issue could be that your network adapter is on USB. are you sure there is no lose connection? can you try different adapter or even same one but on different USB port?

All adapters are not equal. I would suspect the adapter before VMWare. Driver updated to WIn10 recently?  I have the same programming software as you on two VMW 16 (Win7 & WIn10) with no issues. Sort of. If I start up the VM with the laptop wireless activated I most often can not get a connection on the hardware port and must turn off the wireless first. After the hardware port is activated then the wireless can be reconnected. If you're interested in my opinion about serial adapters, I used to use the ATEN for years but have found recently the DTECH is as compatible as the ATEN was plus it has activity lights and a longer cable.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NCAQRM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1