asteroidehk

Changing a PowerFlex 753

13 posts in this topic

Hello Friends

I need to change a discontinued PowerFlex 753-NET-E for a newer 753.

The PLC is a CompactLogix 1768-L45 with RSLogix5000 v20.

The old VFD has revision 9 and in the software the higher revision is 13. The new drive is revision 14.

How difficult is to change the drive?

Should I update the revision in RSLogix?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

i would use connected components workbench to upload the old one and program the new one assumming the old one still communicates.

@BobLfoot has great advice. However, if you're not communicating you can also use the HIM to transfer the program from one drive to another. 

If the CompactLogix controller owns the drive then you will need to update the drive's profiled in your I/O tree. In the I/O tree, open the properties dialog box of the drive, in the Overview tab click on the Device Definition button and you'll find the settings you need. 

It should be as simple as that but there are SO many drives that sometimes Logix gets really picky about the keying. In my experience it's often easier to transfer the project from the old drive to the new via CCW, delete the old drive from Logix in Studio5000, then upload the new. As long as you give the newly uploaded drive the exact same name as the old one, the Logix tags should fall right into place and everything will be ok.

Don't know why I didn't think of this until now.  Will your version 14 drive flash down to version 9?

If so then a firmware flash to version 9 and drop it in and go.

Had an RA rep tell me once that downflashing was often the fastest way to replace a drive.

This answer can go many ways. If you can download to the plc, it’s easiest. Hopefully the parameters are saved in the plc. Inhibit Io connection. Go offline then simply download from the drive tab or synchronize. The method here depends on logix version since the AOP changed. This will auto change the drive revision in the project and send the parameters down. If you can’t download, a him copycat is easy if you have a HIM. Make sure to upload all ports and not just a single port. Note that the revision of the drive and plc will mismatch which will not allow you to use the aop but the io connection is still made  

technote below may help too

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/615067

@BobLfoot downgrading is possible but may not help if he needed to go to a non secure fw which isn’t possible anymore. It really comes down to the use of the AOP. Any newer version will make an IO connection assuming keying isn’t exact but opening the AOP will show the red X or can’t merge. Keying is used for IO connection but opening and using the profile must always match the fw version of the drive

Edited by VFD Guy

Sorry for my delayed response, I was busy in another problems.

The old PF still works, the change is because this drive is discountinued and the plant wants to update to prevent an unexpected problem.

The drive has only parameters or also programming?

I think the PF is owned by the CompactLogix, but the old PF is revision 9, the newer is revision 14, in my RSLOgix5000 (RsLogix v20) I have until revision 13...

Downgrading? Maybe, but the version of the new drive should have improvents, and I dont´t knos if is possible to dowangrade.

What should I do?

In another project I tried to update de PF AOPs, and all the revision dissapears...

What do you recommend?

Also my fear is that this drive has a high power (for me) 300 Hp. I don´t want to brake something.

Thanks again 

I'm not sure what you mean by, " The drive has only parameters or also programming?". By setting the parameters, you are programming the drive; that is, making it behave the way you want it to. 

As for changing the drive and updating your controller there are any number of ways to do this, and I'm sure other people will jump in with their own suggestions. I would upload the existing parameter values to the HIM, install the new drive, then download the from the HIM to the drive. In Studio5000, delete the existing drive and use the discovery tool to add the new drive. Make sure you give the new drive the exact same name as the old, deleted drive so all your tags still work.

Interested to hear other methods and suggestions. Best of luck!

A Powerflex 753 is not discontinued. A comm-e might be. Just flash up the drive to v14 and you can use a 20-750-ENETR to replace the comm-e. This change will require the profile to be deleted and added as a 753 via enetr. All 750 drives are forward compatible to the latest revision

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, ElectronGuru said:

I'm not sure what you mean by, " The drive has only parameters or also programming?". By setting the parameters, you are programming the drive; that is, making it behave the way you want it to.

I think he's concerned about the possibility that the drive has some DeviceLogix code inside it in addition to the parameters. I've deliberately chosen NOT to use DeviceLogix, preferring to have any needed code in the PLC that controls the overall system, but I can see a system with a 75x drive that doesn't have a PLC finding a use for it. Since this drive is owned by a CompactLogix, I would be slightly surprised (and disappointed) if his system used DeviceLogix, but it's worth checking.

Appendix D of the manual covers DeviceLogix and using the HIM CopyCat function. It also says that DeviceLogix code is edited using DriveExplorer, DriveTools/DriveExecutive, AOPs, and CCW so it should be pretty easy to see if the drive has any such code in it since it's integrated into the CompactLogix project.

At least it's not a 700S DriveLogix system...

@Joe E. that's a good point and I agree. The only time I've ever used the DLX editor is when I had a stand-alone drive that needed an external input or two, and I didn't want to pay for a MicroLogix. Like when we had two PF753 that ran at different pre-set speeds based on float switch inputs, but also needed to run in lead/lag with each other. I can't see the point of using DeviceLogix in a drive that is owned by a ControlLogix processor.  

@asteroidehk  the revisions available of the drive offline are based on installed databases. Studio 30 and below use drive tools databases and 31 and up use CCW databases. If revisions are missing, update your databases files from PCDC. In any case, I think your drive is still fine to use and can be brought up to current active status by replacing the mature 20 comm e with enetr and flash updating the drive if you want to fix any known corrected anomalies. 

Edited by VFD Guy

If you do change them out, don't run Firmware 14.XX if you plan to use P163 [DI RUN] and P162 [DI FWD/REV]. There's a bug with firmware 14 that causes a conflict of parameters even though there is no conflict when using those input settings to determine forward or reverse direction on the drive.

Edited by IanM8040
bad info