8 posts in this topic

Hi,

So I have a problem, that BootP DHCP server doesn't find my 1734 AENTR series B and so I can't assign IP address to it. Been trying many things. Any advice? I'm new to AB and I guess it may be a really easy thing but so far I didn't find a solution. 

I think it's at least partially because of our IT settings, but I've found that I have to disable all network connections other than the one I'm using. In the BootP program, you can select which network interface to use. Then I use a patch cable to connect the network adapter directly to the device. You may have to power cycle the device after it's connected.

It's pretty basic, but did you check the thumbwheel settings?

If the thumbwheel is between 1 & 254 then the device comes up as 192.168.1.X where X comes from the switches.

No boot-P or dhcp requets are issued.

I've also in some models connected RSLinx to the 192.168.1.X address and chenged the address to what I want using linx module properties.  Set the switches to 256-989 and cycle power.  It now comes up at the desired address.  Again no need to mess with Bootp/dhcp 

2 people like this

59 minutes ago, BobLfoot said:

It's pretty basic, but did you check the thumbwheel settings?

If the thumbwheel is between 1 & 254 then the device comes up as 192.168.1.X where X comes from the switches.

No boot-P or dhcp requets are issued.

I've also in some models connected RSLinx to the 192.168.1.X address and chenged the address to what I want using linx module properties.  Set the switches to 256-989 and cycle power.  It now comes up at the desired address.  Again no need to mess with Bootp/dhcp 

I've never encountered Point IO before, so I didn't know about the thumbwheels. That has definitely caught me before, I think it was on a 1756-ENBT. That's a good trick that I'll have to try again. I seem to remember trying it once and it failing, but I don't know what device it was or what went wrong exactly.

If it's not a new module, it's also possible that it's already been set. In that case, you can use Wireshark. Connect your network adapter directly to the device and see what it does. You should see some packets that contain its IP address as the source.

@BobLfoot just be careful on that 256 - 989 range to not set those switches to 888! I believe that's the value that resets the device back to factory settings.

I was curious so I had to look it up. The user manual doesn't mention 888 but the installation instructions do (page 9)
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1734-in041_-en-p.pdf

You can use the thumbwheels to set the IP address, set the rack size without software, or perform a factory reset.

I'd stay away from the 8xx range altogether to avoid any issues.

@Joe E. after I posted I looked it up as well to be sure, and got the same results you did. But I think setting 888 and cycling power sets defaults on any AB product with IP selector switches.