scotty134

PLC/HMI Program build revision

10 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone!

Our company is planning to build >10 same machines. Some features will be developed later down the road. And here I'm facing a problem where I need to start tracking PLC and HMI program build revisions. Has Omron any internal tools to generate program build revision?

Regards,

Scotty

Welcome to MRPLC @scotty134.

I don't know what Omron has for change control but I've found Autosave to do an excellent job across multiple vendors. 

I've not used it with Omrons, but it would have supported them.

https://auvesy-mdt.com/en/autosave

There's a "Team" option for Sysmac Studio that is basically a form of integration with the "git" source control system.  I haven't actually had a chance to use it, and I understand there are some quirks, but it should give you the chance to closely track what happens.

1 person likes this

I do use "Team" a lot for development. One of the things. when our guys goes to service our machine, they might need to know what PLC and HMI program revision is currently loaded to the machine. In other development apps such as Microsoft Visual Studio I can use special conditions to create my build revision after each production build. I save that I can do project revision when I am working with local project, but it's not loading this information to PLC/HMI. I want to have available PLC and HMI program revision available on the main screen for visual understanding what version of the program is loaded to the machine.

Edited by scotty134

On 5/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, pturmel said:

There's a "Team" option for Sysmac Studio that is basically a form of integration with the "git" source control system.  I haven't actually had a chance to use it, and I understand there are some quirks, but it should give you the chance to closely track what happens.

This is what I was going to suggest - Version Control Explorer.  We don't use it where I am currently, but it looks really promising (as long as everyone does their part with pushes and commits).

IIRC, it was an add-on to the normal license, so you or your company would have to cough up some dough for it.

-K

versioncontrolexplorer.png

Edited by kdobsontn

On 5/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, BobLfoot said:

Welcome to MRPLC @scotty134.

I don't know what Omron has for change control but I've found Autosave to do an excellent job across multiple vendors. 

I've not used it with Omrons, but it would have supported them.

https://auvesy-mdt.com/en/autosave

I see CX-Programmer listed as supported software but not Sysmac Studio. What does this software cost?

@photovoltaic it is priced per plc covered, plus a server cost.

i spent $40k to setup 200 plc at my last company.

Hello Scotty. If you combine Sysmac with git and do your program in libraries & IAG' you can set your own verision number for each library you create or update, then you can track changes in the code and you can track your own developed libraries & IAG's  

/Best Regards 

Edited by Lipton

On 5/31/2022 at 0:29 AM, Lipton said:

Hello Scotty. If you combine Sysmac with git and do your program in libraries & IAG' you can set your own verision number for each library you create or update, then you can track changes in the code and you can track your own developed libraries & IAG's  

/Best Regards 

Hi Lipton, It's actually what I did. I keep using my master branch for all production software revisions and I have created constant variables in global variables table where I manually change software revision each time when I need to push/merge into master(production) branch. Example in attached pictures.

In Visual Studio I can create rules for auto generation my software build revision, but looks like PLC softwares still 20 years behind of other development tools. Sad, but it's true. It's stil better that some noname PLC software or AllenBradley, LOL XD.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:15 PM, kdobsontn said:

This is what I was going to suggest - Version Control Explorer.  We don't use it where I am currently, but it looks really promising (as long as everyone does their part with pushes and commits).

IIRC, it was an add-on to the normal license, so you or your company would have to cough up some dough for it.

-K

Hi kdobsontn, VCS not gonna do the job. I do use VCS since 2014 and Omron's Version Control Explorer for last 2-3 years.. PLC softwares are not adopted to PLC and HMI software build revision to keep track which one has been deployed into a hardware. If we will have some sort of Dev-Ops system that would be able to publish/download software into hardware only from specific branch in your repository, then it will be a different story. But reality says that we can use VCS only for historical progress on programs and potential version deviations for some specific needs. 

HmiRev.JPG

HmiGlobs.JPG

PlcGlobs.JPG

Hi Scotty library project has version number that maybe can help you a little bit on the way same thing with IAG 

maybe it could be a way to read out library version with code and display in hmi I dont know

Edited by Lipton