Sagar Brahmbhatt

PLC Reports using Controllogix and Database

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to making reports. I am researching since days to find a solution on how to log Control logix data into a database and make reports from the data so that other department in the plant are able to review the log. It will be great if anyone can help me out with this. I am looking for something which is cost effective. Help appreciated. 

Hi,

PeakHMI could work for you.

This fits the definition of SCADA (Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition), particularly the "DA" part.

As a systems integrator with a relationship with Inductive Automation, I tend to recommend their Ignition platform for such tasks.  In large part because they are much more cost-effective than the major competition.  I suggest poking around on their pricing page--the platform is modular.  For the limited purpose you state, you would need only the Tag Historian and the Reporting module, as the Allen-Bradley suite is part of the platform nowadays.  Most buyers of a SCADA package will also want to do supervision, too,  so you might also consider the Vision module or Perspective module so you can deploy user interfaces.

A second to what @pturmel posted about double posting with a caveat to Sagar.  Sometimes network lag results in a double or triple post without any ill intent on the part of the poster.

I have used my Moderator-Foo to merge the posts.

You will want a SCADA Package most likely.

You could use RSLINX CLASSIC OEM or GATEWAY with MSEXCEL or MSACCESS but this is unwieldy and does not scale well or maintain well. IMHO.

Using something like AVEVA Wonderware , AVEVA OSISoft PI , GE Proficy Historian, Rockwell Historian or Ignition would be a better choice.

I've always walked into an existing SCADA and had to adapt and improve so I cannot comment on Ignition as I've never used it.

For small scale stuff like you describe ignition would appear the most cost effective.

But Write up your full functional spec for this SCADA, What you want now today, What you think you want next year and What Everyone wishes for.

Then compare tools to your spec and make a reasoned choice.

IT won't be perfect, but you'll be miles down the road before you hit the first speed bumps if you specify it thoroughly first.

1 person likes this