Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Step 7 V5.6 with S7-400 Upload and Monitor

4 posts in this topic

PLC Guru with 30+ years experience in a mix of Omron, Toshiba, Rockwell, Schneider Modicon, GE Koyo and Automation Direct PLCs but never a Siemens.

I am about to acquire Step 7 V5.6 and attempt to upload from an S7-400 the current running code for backup and eventual monitoring and troubleshooting purposes.

Can anyone recommend a decent tutorial video that doesn't spend hours talking about hardware setups and using the simulator first?

I've already watched a half dozen off snooze tube this far and while I have a better feel for the software , I still don't have that warm fuzzy feeling like I get when I watch an @TimWilborne Rockwell Tutorial.

I could guide you through it pretty easily if I could see your screen...but it's been long enough that I can't remember the details enough to give you a good description and I don't have access to the software myself any more to put something together for you. I wrote some work instructions at my previous location but they were based on having the archive file and knowing the Profibus network parameters ahead of time. I had to make it as easy as possible for the technicians because they weren't used to it but that makes the work instruction so specific it won't help you much here.

The hardest part will be getting the PG/PC Interface working. Once that's set up correctly, the upload is pretty straightforward. You won't have any documentation, of course, but I'm sure you're expecting that.

WI_GGM01(Pp3-8)_Small.pdf

1 person likes this

@Joe E. That PDF is going to be priceless thank you.

29 minutes ago, BobLfoot said:

@Joe E. That PDF is going to be priceless thank you.

You're very welcome.

Remember, that pdf is based on a particular machine's configuration. If your Profibus settings are different (very likely),  you'll have to change it. There is an "auto" version of the PC adapter driver that works but is slower because it polls the network every time you go online with anything. Buried somewhere in the Set PG/PC Interface dialog is an option to manually poll the bus settings that will tell you the parameters of the network you're connected to. I almost always did that and then set the PC Adapter driver to match. Made for faster connections. If I had the software in front of me (or had done it more recently), I could tell you the exact wording of it, but it's been almost 2.5 years since I touched Simatic Manager so it isn't fresh any more.

Ethernet is simpler (as long as you know the subnet), but our IT department did something to our host PCs that kept the Accessible Nodes function from working over Ethernet. It also blocked Rockwell's Ethernet/IP driver so we had to use Ethernet Devices instead. The S7-400s I messed with (a Loooonngg time ago) didn't have Ethernet, so that's probably a moot point in your case.