11 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I have 3 kinetix 5500 drives connected in series but some how the 3rd drive lost power. all the fuses in the cabinet look good. nothing else is tripped either. 

any advice is appreciated. 

thank you 

12.PNG

Edited by jpratik92

I'm pretty sure these have a separate 24VDC control power supply connector. Do you have power on that connector? If so, I would suspect a dead drive.

Have you checked the input power at the power terminal blocks on the drive? If power is verified with a meter at drive input, you likely have a drive failure. 

36 minutes ago, Joe E. said:

I'm pretty sure these have a separate 24VDC control power supply connector. Do you have power on that connector? If so, I would suspect a dead drive.

Is the 24V power connector the thin blue wire with the red connector ? 

29 minutes ago, ElectronGuru said:

Have you checked the input power at the power terminal blocks on the drive? If power is verified with a meter at drive input, you likely have a drive failure. 

is there are sharing the power shouldn't it also have some ? 

I don't know for sure. We had some come in  on a machine but I didn't dig into them too deeply. They also didn't use that jumper system on the main input power. Check this manual:
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2198-um001_-en-p.pdf

Page 58 identifies the connectors. If you're not using the separate 24V power connector, then it needs the 480V to light up. You could check the connectors on the top to make sure the 480 is making it to the 3rd drive. Maybe swap it with its neighbor real quick (don't connect anything other than the main and 24V power) and see if the problem stays put.

Also is 2198-H015-ERS different than 2198-H015-ERS 2 ? 

The "2" means it has integrated safety over Ethernet/IP instead of hardwired safety. List price is the same.

i checked the fuses in the bus and power. the first two drives are getting power but the third one is not. we also tried swapping connectors but no success. 

Did you swap the 2nd and 3rd drives? If the problem follows the drive (in other words, if drive #2 powers up in the #3 position),  you've isolated the drive itself and not the power supply to it. I don't know about the Kinetix 5500, but the 5300 we just quoted had about a 3 month lead time...

This is a shared ac configuration via the black connectors on top. The red terminal blocks are the STO signals. There doesn’t appear to be Aux 24 to it. Likely a bad drive. I believe controls are fed off an SMPS which comes off the DC bus. Take the cover off the DC bus and measure there. This will tell you if the converter is functional