AustinBissinger

SLC 03

5 posts in this topic

I have a SLC 500 cat number 1747-L532. The only ports on the processor are a DH485 and a serial port. I want to try and connect this to our remote network. Either by DH+ or ethernet i was going to change the processor to a SLC 05 with a ethernet port. But the HMI is connected to the DH485 port. Not sure what to do i don't have a lot of experience with DH485 or Serial. Was wondering what some of my options where? 

What are you hoping to accomplish with the connection? Gather data, connect with RSLogix, something else?

So, for data collection I would investigate the Red Lion Data Station. If that will do what you want, I would very seriously consider replacing the DH485 HMI with a Red Lion  HMI because the HMI can do the data stuff too. The Data Station is basically an HMI without the screen.

For remote access via RSLogix...that's harder. At my previous location, we had some SLC 5/04s on DH+ that we were able to connect to another machine on the same line that had a DH/RIO module in a ControlLogix rack. If the ControlLogix was networked, we could get to the SLC via the backplane. I don't know of a good way to do that with a SLC 5/03 though. Mickey's suggestion is worth a try and may let you get online with it as well as have a SCADA get data.

What were you planning to use for data collection? Do you already have a SCADA system running?