skyfox

What does CX Server do?

8 posts in this topic

What does this program do? Is it a communication package similar to RSLinx for the Allen-Bradley world?

Can this be used with NX1P2 PLC? Does it support DDE or OPC? I don't see any usable options as far as getting data out to a PC (VB.NET, C# etc.) All I see are add drivers, import/export tool and a performance monitor option.

Thanks.

I don't have an in depth answer for you. There used to be some Omron guys on these forums that could but we haven't heard from them in a while.

I believe CX Server is much like RSLinx except CX is more behind the scenes. There is a Driver Management Tool (which you have discovered) that allows you to add drivers but I'm not sure where you would get them or what they would look like. I keep CX One updated when I need the latest PLC or other device. 

That being said, Omron does offer CX Server Lite which installs add-ons for use with Visual Basic, Excel and .NET. We have used this long ago on C Series PLCs and it works well. The datasheet doesn't list the NX/NJ series but it does support a variety of networks including EtherNet/IP and OPC so I'm sure it can be used. I don't know that it would be the best option. I would be interested in reading other's opinions.

It is much like RSLinx in that it provides communications services to Omron products for all of its PLC models.  But unlike RSLinx, it provides no end-user tools.  It simply provides a uniform API for software to call.

End-users would attach "Sysmac Gateway" to it, possibly having used the "Sysmac Gateway SDK".  I looked at that for a project and got sticker shock.  (Project died.)

Thank you both for the explanation.

I have a application developded in c# and communicate to PLC CJ series through cx-server 5.0.5.2.

So, now I want use a NJ series but in the combo box on cx-server not have NJ series... just CJ, C200, etc

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advanced

Responding to IO_Rack:

Cx-server along with Cx-Server Lite works with a bridge between application (developded in c#, VB) and the PLC memories.

The application use a Tags defined in configuration file for example, and this Tags corresponding to address memory in PLC. This memories address are configurated in CDM file.

CDM file is created firstly add the PLC series, CPU, communication mode, node FINS, etc. After this, it's necessary created the Tags and the respectively memory address.

Tags name will be the exactly name of Tags name created in configuration file of application!!

I'm not sure how to make CX-Server talk to an NJ processor, but you may not need it.  NJ and NX processors support EtherNet/IP symbolic access to named tags.  There are many EtherNet/IP libraries out there, and much cheaper than CX-Server.  Some are free.

Also, programs written with Sysmac Studio do not assign CJ-compatible memory addresses to named PLC tags.  Addresses for backwards compatibility have to be assigned manually.

yes, I know.

But my problem is this:

I communicate perfectly with CJ series.. but with NJ series the communication bridge between PLC and application can be cx-server? I think no..  

Picture 1 (settings of my .CDM file)

Picture 2 (Tags and Address)

Picture 3 (Points created in application developed in C#)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by JMPI