KeithNP

View PanelView Plus Configuration

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me an easy way to extract or view the configuration of a PanelView Plus 700.

Do I need to purchase FactoryTalk or some other software or is there a configuration viewer on the PanelView?

I am trying to duplicate the information on this local PanelView panel onto our site HMI system (Citect) and am hoping to do this by installing a DigiOne IAP in between the MicroLogix 1500 and the PanelView. This is a on old third-party installed system an no-one on site seems to have the tag addressing information,

You'll need to go to the PanelView's Configuration mode to get the configuration settings. Start here on page 59:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf

As for the HMI and direct reference tags, those are in the PanelView's code, which the programmer would've written in FactoryTalk ME. The runtime (.MER) file would have to be uploaded from the PanelView to the laptop, restored to a .MED file, and then you'd have access to the tags.

45 minutes ago, ElectronGuru said:

You'll need to go to the PanelView's Configuration mode to get the configuration settings. Start here on page 59:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf

As for the HMI and direct reference tags, those are in the PanelView's code, which the programmer would've written in FactoryTalk ME. The runtime (.MER) file would have to be uploaded from the PanelView to the laptop, restored to a .MED file, and then you'd have access to the tags.

Thanks for your quick reply. So you are telling me I need to buy FactoryTalk ME. 

I've just read somewhere else that my success in converting the .MER will depend on the version that it was created with..(?) less than 5.0 and I could find problems.

I'm presuming the I'll be able to look into the graphic configuration for all the tags and somewhere (in the .MED FILE) there will be address and scaling info for all the tags?

If you're wanting upload, convert to MED and peek inside the code, yes, you'll need FactoryTalk ME Studio.

If it's 5.0 or lower you're going to need to call Tech Connect. 

Also, whoever created and transferred the MER had the option to not allow conversion back to MED, or to allow conversion with password only. If that's the case, you'll never be able to recover the MED. I don't know of any way to determine that other than attempting to restore the MED and seeing if it restores, prompts you for a password, or says it can't be restored.

If you're able to restore the MED, you'll find the HMI tags in an easy to access HMI tag file. You'll have to sus out the direct reference tags individually by going to the connections tab in the properties dialog box of every interactive object (like push buttons and gages) on every display. 

2 people like this

Some additional suggestions...

You can get into the configuration mode of the PV+ and transfer the .MER file to a USB flash drive. Starting with version 8 or so, I've found the hassle to be worth it since Ethernet transfers take about 75 years to finish. With older versions, transfers were quick. Once in the configuration mode, check out the startup settings to see which MER file is set to load on startup. There can be several MER files on the PV+ at the same time, which can make it tricky to make sure you get the right one that's running right now.
A few links that will be helpful:
https://theautomationblog.com/panelview-plus-white-square-missing-or-f1-not-opening-configuration-mode/
https://solconnetwork.com/how-to-access-the-configuration-screen-in-panelview-plus-6-0-or-higher/
https://theautomationblog.com/how-do-i-access-the-panelview-plus-configuration-menu/

Once you have the .MER, you can share it here (if it's small enough) or ask someone local (like your AB distributor) to take a look at it and see if it can be restored. If not, and if this is your only PV+, and if you're planning to replace it anyway, there's not much point in getting FT View Studio. It seems that you're planning to keep the PV+ and add a Citect "copy" of the information, so it probably makes sense to get the software and figure out how to use it. Sure as anything, there will be future updates to make to the PV+ as well.

Another option is to contact the OEM who built the machine and ask them for the APA (project archive) and MER files. I've had to do that on occasion when I had trouble getting the MER file out of the PV+.

1 person likes this