Mike1988

PLC tester

4 posts in this topic

I am taking a PLC class online. I’m finding it hard to understand. I would like to build a PLC tester. I have a Allen Bradley microLogix 1000. I’m looking for some pointers on how to get it up and running 

Hook up few buttons and lights and off you go. Getting familiar with wiring is an essential step as this will be indispensable skill when troubleshooting and commissioning real project. If you have doubts  about something, share what you are planning to do what the concern is. that is the best way to get feedback. starting point is always getting access to correct documentation and reading it, specially when doing something with hardware like wiring mistake here can damage things. 

once you have some tester ready - rest of the experience is programming and that will take some practicing... Just be patient, things get time...

As with anything, try out common constructs, see what the behavior is not just in run time but also after reboot. A good example of that subtle difference is easily observed in seal-in vs latch/unlatch. once you have something working, it is not game over. you really want to mess with it and try different things to see how it behaves after you change this or that. before every change set your expectations and make prediction what the outcome will be. then do it and see if you were right. also ask yourself how can you accomplish same using different approach or instruction. this will prepare you to transplant your code to a platform that does not have specific instruction.

There are countless more examples but once you have handful of code snippets, you can always use them. basically all programs are combination of frequently used pieces of code. very few things are really something new.

some very common and things are

start/stop logic

signal conditioning (debouncing, edge detection...)

watchdog timers

sequential logic (any way you like)

data manipulation (encoding/decoding values, scaling...)

@Mike1988 what class are you taking and who's doing the teaching?