Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LD_M

Packaging Machine - Horizontal Flow Wrap

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

We have a mechanical packaging machine ( horizontal flow pack machine ), which the OEM is no longer supporting the spare parts.  The direction of the management now, is to convert the mechanical drive component into servo control system. 

I am planning to use Omron PLC - NX1P2 , NA HMI and 1S Servo system to convert the existing packaging control system. The local Omron support is committed to assist us on the software / programming side, but not on the machine design conversion ( mechanical ).  Since, this will be my first experience in handling the modification, I am looking for someone ( with packaging machine conversion / modification experience ) to guide / assist / consult on this project ( this will be a paid consultation / assistance ).

To those who had been using the motor sizing tool software, how do you size a mechanical system into a servo drive ( motor and gearbox )? Is there a hard and fast rule, in sizing a system? example is the packaging machine? infeed lugpin or the rotary knife? There are instances, where your system does not fall into one of the categories in the selection.

Appreciate if you could share your inputs.

Thanks.

If I read this right you're removing the Mechanical Line Shaft from a Packaging Machine and installing Servo Motors at the Key Driven Elements (Infeed, Wrap, Rotary Knife and Output).

It will take some math, but at each point you'll should be able to calculate the torque and speed delivered by the Line Shaft to the working element.

Your Servo Motor will need to meet or exceed this capacity.

I say exceed because with Servo Motors in place sooner or later someone from Operations will want to speed it up.

Yes, you are right.

We will removed the mechanical linkages on the infeed / lugpin chain, sealing wheels and the rotary knife.  Each section / driven element will have a servo motor to control the speed and synchronization.

The existing machine has only 1 drive motor and all are link with belts, gears, brakes / clutches.  Also, no documentation available for the machine, as reference.

I will be basically starting from scratch, that's the reason why I am looking for a consultant.

The machine modification / conversion will be done in-house.

Create one virtual axis, and issue the commands to that axis.  Then using MC_GearIn and MC_GearOut, link the other axes on and off as required where you used to use gears and clutches.