Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WazMeister

ENBt and EN2T fw compatability

5 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

Did some sesrching and used Allen Bradley links, but unable to find a reasonable answer. 

Can some advise on following questions. 

A system with PLC interlocking ENBt fm ver 4 with in the field ENBt ver 4 being upgraded. 

The new PLC with EN2T ver 6 did not work with the field ENBt ver4 (comms issues).    So tried ENBt firmeare ver 6 and this worked with the field ENBT...

The EN2T ver 6 worked with ENBT ver 6.

So why does the Master PLC EN2T ver 6 not work with ENBt ver 4?

Hope this makes sense?!?! 

The ENBT's design goes way back, with features in later designs (and other ENxT types) not present in the earlier ones.  That's it.

> The new PLC with EN2T ver 6 did not work with the field ENBt ver4 (comms issues). 

I would need more details about the type of "interlocking" and the nature or symptoms of the communication failures to guess.

Most features that the 1756-ENBT version 4.x firmware supported are also supported by 1756-ENBT version 6 firmware.    Certainly ordinary MSG instruction and Produced/Consumed Tags would be supported.   I might expect some issues if one of the systems is ControlLogix Redundancy.

You can read up on the details in the Release Notes:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rn/1756-rn591_-en-p.pdf

Sometimes I have found that when you configure two devices and make a configuration mistake, you can mis-attribute it to the firmware revision, not to the mistake or difference in the configuration.    Or there's really a bug !

Edited by Ken Roach

Lets dive into this a bit deeper.

BEFORE UPGRADE --

Master PLC - 1756-L?? CPU version ?? with 1756-ENBT v4 firmware

Slave PLC - 1756-L?? CPU version ?? with 1756-ENBT v4 firmware

?? Produced / Consumed tags

?? Message Instructions

AFTER UPGRADE --

Master PLC - 1756-L?? CPU version ?? with 1756-EN2T v6 firmware

Slave PLC - 1756-L?? CPU version ?? with 1756-ENBT v4 firmware

?? Produced / Consumed tags

?? Message Instructions

Can you fill in the details and if practical post the before and after programs from the PLCs?

I'm looking forward to Bob's deeper dive, but I'm not surprised at your symptoms or the solution. I've seen intermittent communication issues after upgrading the FW of a PLC that was talking through an -ENBT that were resolved by also upgrading the -ENBT. It got to where we kept a spare -ENBT standing by with the latest FW that we could set the IP address and do a quick swap in a live machine whenever we made a major change, especially one that required changing the PLC FW or adding any sort of Ethernet I/O devices.