Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rta53

Alternate Devices For Rs232 To Ethernet

3 posts in this topic

I have used the AB 1761-NET-ENI for getting a Micrologix 1200 on our network but these devices are a little pricey. Has anyone tried any other devices that will do the conversion but at a lower cost?

It’s a 232 connection. Newport and Omega make an e-net to serial converter for $230 to $330 price range. That may work. I'm not sure that RSlinx would be compatible.

The Net-ENI performs the special trick of turning EtherNet/IP encapsulated PCCC messages into DF1 PCCC messages. That bit of intellectual property allows you to use the Ethernet driver natively in RSLinx, and allows PLC-5E, SLC-5/05 and 1756-ENET modules to communicate to the Net-ENI. The e-mail and autobaud functions are also features you won't find in general-purpose Ethernet/serial interfaces. Virtually all of the Ethernet/serial interfaces on the market are implemented using a "COM port redirector" service on a PC to capture application calls to an enumerated serial port and redirect them to the IP address of the device, where they are repeated on the serial side. This redirection takes a little time, and often limits you to COM1 through COM4 only. If all you need is to go from PC software like RSLogix 500 to your MicroLogix, the less expensive interfaces can work for you if you're willing to put in the effort to set them up. I've successfully used the Lantronix CoBox, and I've heard of success with the Digi IA. I even had a customer implement a multiport unit using an OPC server from Kepware.