Taco 2

Windows 10 Proficy Serial Comms

2 posts in this topic

I am working with Proficy Version 9.7 running through a Windows 10 Virtual machine and have struggled getting serial communication with LM90 and RX3i processors.

I have tried 4 different types of cable set ups:

Straight serial through ICC690ACC901 Cable (Computer has 9 pin serial port), USB to serial adapter (specific for GE comms), serial cable with Horner adapter (known working), and station manager cable (IC693CBL316). 

I have been able to communicate to processors using a GE serial test program via all the cable setups used above.   When I go into the actual software package and try to go online with Proficy I keep getting an 8502 code (Communication port is being used by another utility).

RS Linx is off on the main computer, I am running Proficy through a windows 10 virtual machine with the USB port set to only be visible to the virtual machine. There are no other PLC software utilities or programs other than Windows 10 running in the virtual machine.

I have gone to the extent of trying to find out what other programs are using the Port(s) but the report is so vast and looks to be tied to so many windows looking executables that it is difficult to determine what is a problem and what is not. 

Has anyone had any similar experiences with Windows 10 and the GE Proficy software?

My Allen Bradley software packages/Serial devices used out of the same ports (9 pin Serial) and USB-converter and have no issues with communications.

My experience with serial communications from virtual machines (although not a Windows 10 VM) is that you have to pay close attention to the COM port number. Your USB/serial converter on the host machine might be assigned to COM3, but it might be COM1 on the VM.