Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Changing ControlNet File

3 posts in this topic

I have a machine controlled by a ControlLogix Processor with three ControlNet Cards.

Right now the Logix5000 Program is stored as D:\Machine.ACD. and the ControlNet files are D:\Slot5.xc , D:\Slot7.xc and D:\Slot9.xc.

For reasons I won't go into on anther system there is no D:\ drive so when I open E:\Machine.ACD  it of course complains the the D:\Slot#.xc files can't be found.

When I change the file on the RSNetworx Pane of properties to E:\Slot#.xc it says something about modifying a running module warning.

The D:\ file and E:\file are identical.  If the machine is running is there any real risk?

How best to resolve this dilemma.

I've run into that, too.  I just leave them broken, as the module will blink, IIRC.  You can still open the files directly in RSNetworx.

Totally not helpful to your situation, but we had a production line run by a PLC5 and we had to replace the CPU (I don't remember why, probably a comms failure or it ran out of memory). The only spare we had that was big enough to handle all of the RIO racks was a ControlNet model (this line did not use ControlNet, only RIO and DH+). After about 6 months of getting the message box pop up that the ControlNet configuration file was  missing every time I opened the program in RSLogix, I figured out how to create an empty file for it to find. Didn't do anything, just was a placeholder to minimize the software conniptions.

The line that did use ControlNet had a ControlLogix -L55M12 processor running like v13 or so. I *cautiously* flashed it up to v16 to get something to work and hoped I wouldn't have to mess with the ControlNet scheduling. I think I was so paranoid that I stopped the line, saved an online copy and downloaded it to a spare processor just to keep the working one intact. It just worked, with no warnings or prompts or blinking lights on any of the ControlNet devices. Later on, we needed to add some drives so we upgraded the PLC to an -L81E. Same thing. No issues with the ControlNet configuration at all, even without rescheduling the network. The only issue we had that time was with a 3rd party PC-based vision control system that wouldn't communicate. They were able to send a patch to fix it.