Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ABlearner

Rockwell commuincation systems

3 posts in this topic

Hi!

I would like to ask your help. I want to know more about the communcation systems what allen bradley use.

Most important for me, is Ethernet IP communication, Controlnet communication, Sercos (servo) communication, maybe devicenet communication. 

I know I can find some manulas on the web, but I thought I ask it here too, maybe you guys have some more documents which is contain more information.

Every information is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much guys.  

Nope.  Go get the docs and read.

All are still active, used and supported.  You would best be served by focusing on E/IP.  The others are relics and fading quickly.

Everything except Sercos has been delegated to ODVA.  You can subscribe to each of EtherNet/IP, DeviceNet, or ControlNet for $600/year.  For a one-time fee (for each protocol), you can register as a vendor and get a vendor number to use in your own implementations.  (I myself am a registered vendor for EtherNet/IP and DeviceNet.  You do have to maintain the subscriptions to retain the right to use the vendor number.)

All three protocols are really wrappers around "CIP", the specification for which is included in any of the three subscriptions.  That is why it is possible to browse from an Ethernet RSLinx to a target device multiple hops away using any of those technologies on each hop.

1 person likes this