ilsk8

Laptops used

9 posts in this topic

Which laptop is most commonly used by PLC Service Engineers?

Specs please :)

Edited by ilsk8

We're currently specifying Intel i7 with 8GB ram minimum and 250GB Hard Rive Minimum.

We also usually load VMWARE or Hyper-V to allow for Windows 7 and Windows XP VM to service older systems.

1 person likes this

I'm using a System76 Oryx Pro loaded to the gills.  (i7 octo-core 64GB RAM 1TB NVMe + 2TB nVME).  I'm not sure about "commonly used". (:

1 person likes this

Not sure about what's most common, but I'm using an HP Z-Book with i7 CPU, 32GB of RAM, a 500GB SSD for the OS, and a 1TB SSD to store the Virtual Machines. My previous machine was a Dell. It was similarly equipped. I can run at least 2 VMs at the same time, often 3 if I'm not also using AutoCAD and a bunch of Office programs at the same time. Get the larger built-in display, too. Even though it's a bit heavier and bulkier, it will save your sanity when you're hooked up to a machine and having to scroll ladder logic.

My current location uses HP hardware as standard; previous was all Dell. With the right specs, both have served me well. With VMs, the updates pushed by IT don't matter nearly as much and if one of your software packages decides to not play nice and crash everything, it only affects that one VM. And you can have recent backups to get back running. Also if your hard drive fails, you just replace it and restore your backup VMs. You're back in business with all of your software within an hour instead of a week. And don't get me started on mutually exclusive software versions...sigh...

1 person likes this

Not sure about commonly used. companies i used to work for tend to spec business machines like Lenovo.

i do not like that. pushing hardware spec from top down may be nice from IT perspective but it is not efficient or productive. slow pokes get machines that they are not using and speed demons are stuck on something mediocre. machine need to be selected to match user and applications that user works with. 

today, 8Gb ram is very little from my perspective. maybe for ... email ;)

i have clunky old i7 with 32gb RAM with 0.5Tb + 1Tb storage. it is ok if i do not run too many things.

2 people like this

Just bought some i7 (11th gen) with 16gb RAM and 512SSD

1 person likes this

I run a Lenovo P53 with a Core i7-9850H @2.60Ghz with 64 GB of RAM and two 1T SSD, I can run 2-3 VMs simultaneously without issue.

1 person likes this

On 3/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, Crowbar said:

I run a Lenovo P53 with a Core i7-9850H @2.60Ghz with 64 GB of RAM and two 1T SSD, I can run 2-3 VMs simultaneously without issue.

Sounds like my company-issued P53 setup as well.

1 person likes this