BobLfoot

Mechanical Skills Enhancement for an Electrical Engineer

5 posts in this topic

My workplace just employed a "recently minted" electrical engineer into our department.  And while he knows his Volts, Amps, Ohms and etc.  If asked to had you a Hex Bit wrench he may hand you a Torx Bit instead.  And don't make me repeat the Sheave / Pulley /Belt versus Chain discussion we had.  

CAN SOMEONE RECOMMNED A GOOD ONLINE RESORCE TO TEACH BASIC INDUSTRIAL MECHANICS to an individual like thus?

Heh, sorry.  Got nothing.  I try to pick people who like to work on vehicle engines.  They already know the basics.

And don't make me repeat the Sheave / Pulley /Belt versus Chain discussion we had.  

why not? it could be entertaining... ;)

It's hard to glean mechanical skills from an online class. I think the best to hope for online would be to pick up on terminology and identification of parts/tools (i.e. difference between hex and torx bits).

If you have some machinery there give them tasks to work on that (of course teach safety first)

Tasks that I think will be helpful for and electrical person learning mechanical skills. Depending on the student's level, they will need more or less guidance.

• Adjust a limit switch on a machine. Regardless of the type of switch, they are going to have to do some wrench/screwdriver turning and movement.  They will have to learn about alignment. Depending on the motion sensed, they will learn the trouble of adjusting the switch to actuate too soon. Or if they set the switch on the harry edge the problem of intermittent switching. Adjusting light curtains is also a good task.
  • Have them do some wiring in a panel. Besides the screwdriver skill, they learn that it is not so easy to land the wires the right place. If you use ferrules, make sure they do the crimping of those too.
  • Have them change out a pushbutton on a panel. Then have them verify that it works correctly.
  • If you have any small motors in service you could have them take one off and put it back on. Show them the couplings and how they work. (good chance to go over lock out / tag out here as well).
  • If you have any bigger contactors, have them take one apart and demonstrate how to change out the contacts. 

It is good if you can pawn them off on other people in the company to help them with these tasks (talk with the other party first so they know what you're doing). Give them names of people but not their extensions or where they work. In my experience, the new one's want to do everything with texts or emails and not face to face. This gets them used to talking to people they don't know and talking face to face with people.

Do give clear expectations. Be up front about making them find people on their own and talk to people face to face or on the voice phone.  Put them in situations where they have to call the tech support lines of manufacturers. Even if you can give them the answer right away, it will make them more self sufficient in the long run. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ndzied1 said:

Put them in situations where they have to call the tech support lines of manufacturers.

Now that's just cruel!  I like it. (: