kckku

IO-Link Experiences

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the Omron IO-Link modules (GX-ILM08C or NX-ILM400)? If yes, can you please share your experiences? I am trying to get some idea if Omron's implementation is good (or should I wait until they work out the bugs before giving this a try). 

We have some applications for pressure sensors that can use IO-Link. Previously these were only available using analog and now I am wondering if it makes sense to just go with IO-Link and not bother with the analog cards anymore.

Thanks.

If concerned with maturity of Omron's IO Link devices, consider ifmEfector.  Been using them for several years successfully.  Not sure we've used them with Omron as yet.  But we use them with E/IP for Rockwell and Profinet with Siemens.  Omron talks E/IP, dependent upon processor, you might need to add a comms module.  Additionally, we use SMC valve banks via EX260 (IO Link) as a slave to the IO Link Master.

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this

I have hit my first snag with IO-link. I tried to add a IODD file from Keyence for their LR-X sensor and wasn't able to. The SMC pressure sensors were added without problems so these seem to work. Not giving me much confidence.

Maybe it only works with their own sensors? Figure out the third party stuff later?

2022-02-23_17-09-05.jpg

It may be a dud file - would not be the first time a supplier has supplied a dud file. Happened all the time with Device Net. Used to have to massage them all the time - even often the I/O size was wrong!

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, BobB said:

It may be a dud file - would not be the first time a supplier has supplied a dud file. Happened all the time with Device Net. Used to have to massage them all the time - even often the I/O size was wrong!

So I was reading the Omron manual and it says I am supposed to use CX-ConfiguratorFDT to setup and monitor IO-link devices. So I try this and the first thing it did when starting up was to tell me I needed an update. So I say 'Yes' and then it gives an error about IOLinkInterperterDTM. Again, no idea what this is but the program throws an error. There's no way out of this so the only option is to say OK and then Cancel.

After the error goes away, the program still starts and runs. Then I was able to add the IODD file for the Keyence sensor here.

Now when I go into Sysmac Studio, the sensor is available for me to add. I am not sure what's happening here but this appears to be a bug? It's the same file from Keyence.

2022-02-23_17-26-08.jpg

2022-02-23_16-44-25.jpg

2022-02-23_16-53-13.jpg

2022-02-23_17-23-18.jpg

2022-02-24_9-17-57.jpg

Try updating your software - I just did an update and ConfiguratorFDT updated itself.